Dr. Dre's basslines

K

KruSafix

Just wonderin...What bass(acoustic, fretless, etc.) does Dr.Dre use? I noticed the a lot of his beatz have that same bass sound what is that!

Hi KruSafix,

There are several different bass sounds that Dre has used throughout his career. When he was producing with NWA a lot of the basslines were sampled. On his Death Row stuff he used a fair bit of synthesiser bass. In his more recent tunes I would say that he uses either synth or an electric bass (it will vary between songs).

If you are going to use an electric bass then I would suggest that you just D.I. the bass and EQ it so there is not much treble or high mids so you are just getting the low frequencies.

If you plan to use a bass synth or similar then I would recommend as a starting point using OSC1 as a sine wave and OSC2 as a square wave as this will give you quite a round, fat sound that will have the subs thumping!

Hope that helps,
Filo

Coo! Thanks. I always wondered what he uses nowadayz..this helps a lot! I like how Dre's bass sounds, it feels dark and all...I'ma give it a try now...thanks a lot!

Hey! Filo...can you send me a sample of how it should sound?
Heres my email address: RageRapRecords@aol.com If you can send me a sample, I would really appreciae it! Thanks.

Ayy, dawgg I think that Dre be the best producer of all time. I is 17 and I want to be successfull music producer just like dre. Me and my partner finna be the best on the west coast. You got any tips on makin beats (what programs, equipment you use etc.)

enigma said:
he has a musician named mike elizondo play his basslines

Also Scott Storch who has produced for mobb deep and do alot of work for Dre on 'Chronic 2001' plays alot of the instruments for Dre.

Scott Storch's recent banger: Fat Joe's "Lean Back" for the Terror Squad True Story Album.

scot storch ghost produces for dre ALL the time, so all of u who love dre, learn to love the true king, scot storch

man how could you guys leave out the funk rnb and hip hop god BOOTSY COLLINS, man everyone has sampled this guys stuff. and dre used him alot on his tracks.
if you have no idea who im talking about its time to learn, he was the crazy guy with the bass in the song groove is in the heart, he wrote alot of james browns stuff, pass the dutch from missy eliot was sampled and and taken from bootsy again, goerge clinton , parliment all the power of bootsy. he is more well known in ways to musicians rather than samplers as he is one of the best if not the best bass players there are, but alot of people would be suprised go download some bootsy collins songs, and for days you can be finding your self going, now i know where ( insert rappers name ) got that sample from , so thats where ( insert rapper name ) got that beat from.

but dre is known for getting more musicians on his tracks than other hip hop writers.
so best idea to get an idea for how dre gets his bass lines and feel, just to the people he took it from, becuase dre didnt write the bass parts nor of course did he play them, he just listend to funk jazz blues rnb and sould and took what he liked, so the secret to hip hop is not get into guys like dre, get into the music that guys like dre pinch, and you yourself can be just like dre just pick your stuff correctly, cause if there is one thing dre can do its pick the right sample or loop and match it up with another good sample or loop. it sounds simple but finding the right one is hard, after that its all marketing and promotion.

dreklone213 said:
Ayy, dawgg I think that Dre be the best producer of all time. I is 17 and I want to be successfull music producer just like dre. Me and my partner finna be the best on the west coast. You got any tips on makin beats (what programs, equipment you use etc.)

This is what Bill Cosby was talking about. Y'all niggaz needa be usin' betta languag

dreklone213 said:
Me and my partner finna be the best on the west coast.

You got any tips on makin beats (what programs, equipment you use etc.)

how come the west coasts best producers require tips on making beats??

PtheGhost said:
scot storch ghost produces for dre ALL the time, so all of u who love dre, learn to love the true king, scot storch
I hate when people say that.

You dont know anything about Dre or how he makes beats. How the .... would you know whether they're done by ghost producers or not?? You wouldn't and you don't. It's just rumours so don't go around spreading .... like its a fact.

man that azz and dem tatas catch me erytime! i wanna be the best producer on the west coast too! what do i have to buy?LOL

Back