Does recording on different mics effect the mix?

Gwamz_1

Hey could anyone answer this question. Does recording on different microphones effect the outcome of the mix. Will i still be able to get a good mix even though some parts are recorded on different mics. I am using an EQ and compressor and adjusting my volume balance, however for some of the parts i cannot get the perfect mix i want.

If those parts are of the same instrument - yes, this would definitely effect the outcome in an ugly way.
If different instruments are recorded with different microphones - you should be fine.

It is ok to record lead or verse vocals with one microphone and background or chorus vocals with a different microphone. Everything else would sound like a nasty patch.

yes, the trick is to have better control of the frequencies. If you know your mics its worth to rec with 2 or more microphones

i had a rec session where the vocals was recorded with 2 mics. One was to have more top end and the other to get more mids.
here you can listen how both of them sound and how they sound together

I wouldn't record the same part or lead vocal with different mics because I like consistency and wouldn't want anything to distract from the performance however backing vocals/ad-libs even hooks, sure go for it get creative.

It's good to experiment with different mics in different environments with different processing - Enjoy it and learn from it :)

Last edited:
Chop-- I think the point was just to demonstrate the difference, not to advocate for a two-mike vocal session. In any event, if at all possible, I wouldn't use an SM 57 on a vocal track. They are a utility microphone, and it's not like it's never been done, but there are much better choices, even when thinking in terms of dynamic mikes...

GJ

Chop-- I think the point was just to demonstrate the difference, not to advocate for a two-mike vocal session

GJ - I totally missed the point of the question apologies to OP :alcoholic: GJ is correct it is possible use the wrong mic during tracking and spend a lot of time trying to get the desired mix and not achieve what you have set out to.

Yes it certainly does, especially the same instruments. Sometimes you can EQ one mic to sound like another but this is not always the case because The mic can record the frequencies different from each other 2. sometimes the transients etc can be very different.

Can you beleive I recorded one time a vocalist with six mics? It was just to experiment... the resukt was astonishing. I do not use this usual just because it is a lot of work to mountthis mics "forest".

Back