Does it defeat the purpose to use a $600 mic...

Styl

On a $100 preamp? I just bought an AT 4050, but couldn't afford a new preamp right now so I'm using a Presonus Tubepre... I did replace the tube but I guess a $13 upgrade will only help but so much. So I guess what I'm asking is, should I wait to get a nicer preamp before I record anything more serious, like charging to record people with this setup, or working on a professional quality album?
Heres a song I recorded with this combination also, to see what I mean...

http://www.******.net/audio/6447688194f9933b/

(*=zshare)

I know the mix isn't perfect either, but just focus on the vocal quality.

Last edited:
Sure, a nice pre-amp helps. But it won't kill you to use both together. You have to work with what you have.

Thanks for the responses, I had an idea that this wasn't the best combination. Also does anyone know how the fmr rnp stacks up against the Auteur? Both are dual channel, which I'd like to have, and they're basically the same price.

I'd take the Black Lion over the RNP. The RNP is very clean and sterile. The Black Lion is more acoustic but still very plain and clean. You can't go wrong with it. For $200 more look at the Summit Audio or the Twin-Finity.

I'd take the Black Lion over the RNP. The RNP is very clean and sterile. The Black Lion is more acoustic but still very plain and clean. You can't go wrong with it. For $200 more look at the Summit Audio or the Twin-Finity.

Great recommendation, I got my Auteur a week ago and so far its been great. The fast track pro is working out good too, but do you know how to use it in full 24/96 quality? I only have the option to record in 24/44.1

Back