Do alot of producers have their beats mixed by their engineer?

dmajor100

I love producing and even tho im about to graduate from a audio school for engineering I cant seem like enjoy mixing. I really dnt know what it is maybe its becuase of the lack of experience or the understanding of mixing and making everything fit in gour mix and sound good like a pro which I have never had happen. My total number of hrs mixing in a controlled enviornment is less than 50 so maybe once I hit 1000 it might be easier. I really need to make a decent site with my music mixed and mastered but I dnt have the besy confiedence in myslef to achieve a pro sound so should I get a personal engineer to do my mixing and mastering to just make my few playlist songs and those that are for sale presentable or should I just do what I can and learn as I go. Its very time.consuming and I kinda wanna be dishing out beats and have fast supply so thats why im wondering if I should have assistance.

Most up and coming producers dont have their beats mixed by professional engineers, that would be way too costly. Mixing is one of those things that youll get better at the more you do it, keep workin!

Well, in my opinion people are overthinking the whole mixing thing. When I do my tracks, there is no such a thing like a mixing stage. I mix the track while I'm producing it. Because I might bend different sounds together and use effects and such, to create a complete new sound from these other sounds. And I do that with EQ, compression, reverb etc. which are all part of the mixing procedure. But I know with what I start in my track, and with what I finish it, because every new track I will add will be mixed to what's already there. So this is something to think about - I usually start with the kicks, then the bass and the melody at the same time, and then go on from there. I add the less important things to the end, like sweeps or crashes. So basically, my bass and my (melody) synth will be mixed to my kick, which is the key element here. In the end, my sweeps and my crashes will be mixed to almost the whole track. See my point?

Of course, during the production stage I will always adjust all levels correctly. And at the end again of course, to fine-tune everything. But, like I said before, I would bend sounds to obtain another sound. For example, my bass are actually 4 basses. The way they're mixed will decide what TYPE of bass and what SOUND it will have. So I have to do this before even going on, because it will stay like that and I want to mix the rest of the track to how I WANT this bass to be. I don't know how to explain deeper. If this bass is not mixed correctly (or the way I want it), it could give a complete different sound. This is my point.

Every time I add a new track, a new sound or whatever, I instantly "mix" it. I add an EQ and cut everything I don't need away. I would add a reverb, cut some lows from the reverb again, see how it fits with the rest. Then adding a compressor eventually, side-chaining it maybe, seeing how it works with the track... etc etc. And then I move on to the next sound.

most labels tend to insist that your work is checked over by their mix engineer no matter what. If you are freelance it's up to you, If you are not happy with your mix then definitely get it checked over buy a good engineer.

most labels tend to insist that your work is checked over by their mix engineer no matter what. If you are freelance it's up to you, If you are not happy with your mix then definitely get it checked over buy a good engineer.

Of course once you sell it, theyll be putting their own mix on the final song. I think he meant just tracks to shop around etc.

What's the point of going to audio engineering school if you are going to pay another engineer? That's cool if you want to watch him and possibly learn from it. Getting decent at mixing takes time. The more you do it the better you will be at it. Who else is better to practice on other than your own work? Just dive in.

Does your school have many mix sessions where you guys are able to ask questions? I milked those sessions when I was in school. When I started working afterwards I literally stuck to the owner/Mix Engineer like glue. Anytime another engineer came in I watch them just the same. At some point you beyond why they are doing and starting to figure out the why's and how's.

Everyone has a prefernce. Depends on your level & what your willing to do. Some producers do send to engineers to mix (like myself) because they want their sound to be crisp and to-par with these other mixes. You may find an engineer who is willing to do it for free, but keep in mind that just because its free won't mean its good. Their "free mix" may sound just the same as your own mix so keep that in mind.

Another thing is the engineer won't have a clear idea of what you want. So they may just make the kicks knock and turn down the synth that you wanted as the main element. But as everyone said it just takes time and lots of practice. I see a lot in this forum people asking how Johnny Juliano or Superstar O get their mixes so clean/punchy. It doesnt take a lot, they just make space for their kicks/808s and hpf everything else, start with quality samples, and the then brickwall everything when they "master."

At the end of the day if your on Grand Hustles label & you make a beat for T.I. and he loves it, your still going to have to give the tracked out version to an engineer for proper mixing. At a smaller level just keep practicing or hire someone to do it. I'm sure myself or any of these other great engineers can help you along your way. Peace.

keep on it.. every track you make you should look to improve on an area. you wont ever know how to be better unless you train your ear.

Actually our mixing and mastering course was about two full week on a few songs and one mastering session. And that was basically it for studio stuff ut I learned alot in live sound mixing maybe even more. So the school was kinda a ripoff and only had practice on my own personal time which is hard and still havent had a successful mix and cant do it at my house cause of improper acoustic treatment and space.

What's the point of going to audio engineering school if you are going to pay another engineer? That's cool if you want to watch him and possibly learn from it. Getting decent at mixing takes time. The more you do it the better you will be at it. Who else is better to practice on other than your own work? Just dive in.

Does your school have many mix sessions where you guys are able to ask questions? I milked those sessions when I was in school. When I started working afterwards I literally stuck to the owner/Mix Engineer like glue. Anytime another engineer came in I watch them just the same. At some point you beyond why they are doing and starting to figure out the why's and how's.

this post is a
A+++++
yeah if you're in audio engineering school you should have access to great engineers and high-end equipment to practice on
no that high-end equipment will magically make a better mix but they do add colors and favors to your mixes.

Actually our mixing and mastering course was about two full week on a few songs and one mastering session. And that was basically it for studio stuff ut I learned alot in live sound mixing maybe even more. So the school was kinda a ripoff and only had practice on my own personal time which is hard and still havent had a successful mix and cant do it at my house cause of improper acoustic treatment and space.

wow this a bad situation anyone reading this thread and thinking about audio engineering/production school you need to research the heck out of the school

-Coach Antonio

Music Business Professional Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Last edited:
I hated mixing and mastering in the beginning as well.
Until i understood how insanely important it is to learn.
Cant afford sending tracks to professionals so im trying to become one myself.
I find it a lot more fun to mix and master now that i know how to do it properly.
At least in theory :o

Here's my thoughts, coming from the point of view of someone who engineers exclusively.

Audio school - don't do it. Dmajor, I feel for ya. If you're ever in Philly come through, I'll teach you more about mixing in a single session than you learned in that two weeks. That's an open invite.

If you are producing your beat well, it really won't need much mixing to sound good. Mixing should take your production to the next level, not get it sounding decent. Try to make the track as exciting or moving as possible simply by choosing great sounds, getting a good groove going, breaking it up with variations, having a catchy melody. It helps to think that rather than "making a beat" you are "producing a song."

Learning the basics of mixing should take about ten minutes. If it doesn't sound bright enough, raise the high end, if it's too bright, take the high end down. Too loud? Turn it down. The basics are fairly straight forward, and if you're monitors and room suck, you aren't gonna get passed the basics anyway - unless you want to dedicate yourself to mixing. Which will ultimately take away from making beats.

Lastly, most experienced engineers don't do free work. Because we've all done free work and know not to do it again.

Kinda too late to say no to audio school cause im about to graduate. I cant say its been a total disapointment cause it was a pleasure being in million doller studios and learning certain things I may have not learned alone but the hands on and praticeing was poorly executed and of course they just want ur money first and education second. Anyways its just gonna still cost me a few grand more to create a perfect mixing room and plug ins,sound panels and more to work proper and really really pratice. Its hard wearing both the producer and engineer hats cause id rather pump out work fast and be done with it and move on.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

All yall should make mixing tutorials

looking at the credits in CD liner notes, the producer, session engineer, mix exngineer and mastering engineer are often four different people, sometimes not.

Keep learning, despite the talks it is not impossible to teach yourself how to better engineer your music... I feel as a serious music producer you MUST understand the art of mixing. There are tons of videos and blogs on this topic all over the internet. If you decide to get an engineer make sure that engineer is experienced in your genre and listen to their mixes. Just because someone has the title "Engineer" attached to their name does not mean they will fix your mix. Good Luck!

If you're ever in Philly come through, I'll teach you more about mixing in a single session than you learned in that two weeks. That's an open invite.

DAMN. THIS, ladies and gentleman, is what forums like this are about. THIS is how True Knowledge is attained and implemented.

Although I'll probably never meet you, Weiss, I want to thank you on behalf of all of those who seek Knowledge of this Art of ours for throwing this out there. It's a wonderful attitude, a great gesture, and is the perfect example of what I look for in forums such as these.

Peace unto you, and I wish you success in all you endeavor in.

Peace.

I've been making beats for about a year now. I just went to a sound engineer today. One thing I learned is that while sound engineers are really great and will definitely make your track better, most of the leg-work mixing-wise should be done by you.

And it's not for any moral reasons or anything. When you're doing the mixing yourself,

1) It makes the song have YOUR sound at the end of the day, which makes a big difference in the scheme of things.

2) Making the engineer put in extra work can cost you more money.

3) You learn more, and with time you'll be a master and barely even need an engineer.

Back