distortion problem or recording problem

mrtaran

hey!
im having trouble making drum and bass on my yamaha rm1x
i know i need to use samplers and stuff to make it sound the best... but i just want it to work before i set up the sampler :P

i have distortion on the drums *cuz i cant put it on a tape then back to digital* and distortion on the bass
but it sounds like CRAP together.. any suggestions?
what am i doin wrong..

also
i notice that all the songs on the rm1x.. they dont make me
feel like dancinG :P
is compression the only thing needed after that.. or any other things i gotta get?

thanks always
me

-distortion can come from 3 things that I know of

1) the yamaha . . .?

2) the puter = if you are running outta RAM

3) the speakers = if they suck

nono
i used the distortion effect on the yamaha
i want distorted drums and bass
but they sound bad when played together..
why?

because that's the nature of distortion. if you put bass and drums through the same distortion the pedal is gonna act like a compressor and push the silent signal away, this combined with the distortion give you the utter most crap sound. This can be the desired effect (Atari Teenage Riot??) but more then often it isn't. The only way around this is having seperate distortions for your instruments... ,. you need of course multiple outs for that.

he is right it mushes up those bass sounds and kils the dynamics leaving it flat.... however bass drums though distortion still sound kewl but try distoring them eq-ing thim and thencompressing them and making the low end of your beats a seperate track.

Taos

Back