Difference between linear compressor and "non-linear" compressor?

If linear refers to the level transfer curve:
linear > no compression
non-linear > compression
If linear refers to the frequencies transmission:
linear > compression
non-linear > EQ
So, your question is a little confusing.

I have no idea, I just stumbled upon it while I was reading some articles on Sound On Sound Magazine.

so, been thinking about this and the following thoughts occur to me:

1) linear means a 1 to 1 mapping of the compression curve; i.e the input signal is shifted up or down by use of the makeup gain knob only: not true compression but an application of the compressor's technology to tame hot signals or raise soft signals with no other alteration to the dynamic range of the signal....

2) non-linear therefore is when the compressor ratio is anything but 1:1, regardless of makeup gain adjustments.

One of the bundled plugins in Sonar is called a "linear compressor" - which actually refers to that it's a multiband comp with linear phase crossovers.

A non-linear Compressor, or non-linear compression response rather is where the amount of gain reduction decreases at higher input levels, and/or it simply means the application of a soft knee or a curve in the compression.
Linear means there’s either no compression with no gain reduction, or a hard knee an abrupt gain reduction.

One of the bundled plugins in Sonar is called a "linear compressor" - which actually refers to that it's a multiband comp with linear phase crossovers.

This is the first "complicated" response that has made sense to me, ever :)

Back