Desperately need help, off tempo vocals

Reptoid

Ok, im gonna try and make this short and as clear as possible. This is by far the most frustrating problem ive run into.

So, I make rap beats and i rap over them as well. I make beats on my desktop computer, transfer the instrumental wav. to my laptop which is in my home studio and lay down the vocals. The problem is when i export JUST the vocals without the beat and transfer it back to my desktop computer, my vocals suddenly don't sync up with the instrumental. No matter how i line them up or what i do to the tempo it's off beat. The worst part is parts of it are ON beat but then it falls off. If anyone can provide a solution i'd greatly appreciate it.

first align the vocal sample and instrumental well on grid. then time stretch in a way that it sync with the instrumental's tempo.then **** with the mul knob in time stretch menu.(but before that make sure the time stretching is in resample mode)turn it right 2% to increase a 128 bpm sample to 130 bpm.same way turn it left 2% and you decrease 2 bpm. im just giving you the overall idea on tempo sync stuff. keep in mind that never change the instrumentals tempo in such case.and turn on the metronome switch so you will be able to change tempo more accurately. when it starts ticking, listen carefully. if your vocal sample first 4 bar says "The Storm Is Coming Down". then you gotta match up the 4 ticks with the first 4 letter T S C D . if the letters run faster than ticks turn the mul knob left a bit and check . and finally when you are done check now the vocal sounds very different and weird .change the time stretching mode to PRO TRANSIENT and it will be fine.

Last edited:
I'm not really into rap, but I do lots of metal recordings, if it sounds off beat use a metronome even on vocals. If the metronome on ur desktop for example on 150 BPM and u made the beat on it and record ur vocals, when u move them to ur laptop the metronome should also be on 150BPM and it will be more easier for u to sync them or even record new takes over them.

first align the vocal sample and instrumental well on grid. then time stretch in a way that it sync with the instrumental's tempo.then **** with the mul knob in time stretch menu.(but before that make sure the time stretching is in resample mode)turn it right 2% to increase a 128 bpm sample to 130 bpm.same way turn it left 2% and you decrease 2 bpm. im just giving you the overall idea on tempo sync stuff. keep in mind that never change the instrumentals tempo in such case.and turn on the metronome switch so you will be able to change tempo more accurately. when it starts ticking, listen carefully. if your vocal sample first 4 bar says "The Storm Is Coming Down". then you gotta match up the 4 ticks with the first 4 letter T S C D . if the letters run faster than ticks turn the mul knob left a bit and check . and finally when you are done check now the vocal sounds very different and weird .change the time stretching mode to PRO TRANSIENT and it will be fine.

This is so frustrating. I am in resample mode and ive tried playin around with those knobs over and over and it always seems that the beginning is on beat and suddenly my rapping gets faster than the beat and goes to shit. It makes no sense to me because I know for a fact my rapping was on beat. I exported the full vocal track and matched it up with my instrumental and it's still off beat. I honestly dont know its possible that the first part of my rapping syncs up and then the rest is terrible

Hey buddy, when boucing out as WAV just remember whatever tempo/BPM your instrumental was composed at your vocals must be composed at that same BPM/Tempo. For example lets say you make your beat with a bpm of 80 then you record your vocals in another daw and the bpm defaults at 120 and you record at the 120 bpm your project will always be off. You have to track/record at the same bpm as your instrumental. So a good habit to develop is to always set your bpm when recording and never record at the default 120 bpm in most DAW's

Ok all ill give it a try thanks G. But does this mean im basically screwed when it comes to the vocals i layed down in the wrong bpm? Like is re-recording my only option?

dude i got you. fix it now. after turning the mul knob well, your first 4 bars are in sync but rest of the bars aren't right? do as i say, zoom the bars that arent in sync. and then hold the ctrl key and turn the mul knob again smoothly a bit. it fine tunes the sample and it will pull everything on sync trust me!

Always check your base BPM in your DAW, or more specifically, the project you're working on. To sync up effectively, first and foremost, they must be at the same speed. You can record the vocals at the exact speed you want it in one program, but when you transfer it to another program, it syncs to THAT projects base BPM. For example, you take a cool instrumental track from youtube (always credit source) and want to expand on it with some midi instruments. The recording is set at 80 BPM. You import the file and you realize that your projects BPM is set to 120. The track will play the same speed it did on youtube, even at 120 BPM. But the problem is, your midi tracks will never sync up because they are at 120 BPM, not 80. So in reality, you have your midi tracks at a true 120 BPM and your imported track is at 80BPM for your projects 120. Therefor, if you lower the BPM on the project to get the midi tracks to fit, it will slow down the imported track to under 80BPM. To fix this, you make sure before importing anything that you: A. know how many BPMs the track is set at. and B. your project is set to that EXACT tempo. The only time this doesn't really work is older tracks from like before the 80's, where most of them aren't perfectly steady because they didn't really use click tracks in commercial music recording back then.

@ OP unfortunately yes you will have to record your vocal performance at the correct BPM. Delays etc etc will not sync up correctly otherwise. Timestretching etc will not provide high quality results. if you track in the daw with the instrumental you could just mix in the DAW and not bounce out. We have all been there. Rick

Back