The Definition of Mastering

Audio Mastering in our current times is changing fast,
it does mean today's mastering engineer role is much bigger then it used to
mixes are made by hobbyist (nothing wrong with that), and then send over to Mastering Studio
so Mastering Engineer is in many cases the only professional involved in Music Production,

out of lack of understanding, many consumers think that Mastering Studio is the place when they can bring wonky mixes and get 'Jay-z masters'
it's wrong assumption, as mix is shaped and sculptured at Mixing Stage, and mastering is...
icing the cake as someone mentioned

This is for anyone about to start a thread about, or who doesn't know the definition of - Mastering:

MASTERING IS..... for everyone who may ever want to know:

The process of preparing a body of recorded material for reproduction. THAT is the actual literal definition of mastering.

This process generally contains TWO phases. The first is a Quality Control phase and involves correcting or enhancing the mix, removing pops or weird noises, fading the song in or out - if anything needs to be done. This is also where the mastering engineer checks to make sure that the audio material fits the guidelines for the medium it will be reproduced on.

The second phase is called Authoring. This is where the songs are sequenced, and encoded with data such as track information and ISR Codes.

You do not "master a song" you master a project. The exception being a project CAN be a single. However, one of the main things addressed in modern mastering is the relationship between multiple songs - tonally and volume wise.

Please copy and paste this into a sticky somewhere.

This was a really good response! Thank you :)

mastering is basically mixing it so that it sounds as loud as it can while keeping the best quality possible.

What about stereo imaging, corrective procedures, and overall sonic sculpting?

Perhaps when you master something, the only thing you focus on is is making it as loud as possible. ;)

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
i really don't care i just needed 5 posts so i could put some goddamn URLs on my post.

Don't degrade the quality of existing threads to fit your 5-post requirement. That's disrespectful to the people who are actually trying to have a discussion on the topic at hand.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Back