Crazy noises in my recording

Ok heres my problem. Im getting two different noises in my recording when I track music from my external hardware. ONLY FROM MY SOUND MODULES NOT FROM VOCAL RECORDINGS. The first noise is a high pitch slight noise kinda like a dog whistle, and the other is a dirty buzzing.

Here my setup. I track my music into ProTools LE 7 using the Mbox2. I run all of my sound modules/synthesizers into a Berhringer UB1202 Mixer. My hardware is the MPC 2000XL, Motif ES6, Roland Fantom Rack,ASR-10. The first thing I did was checked the levels on the Mixer and turned down all of the Gains, Put the levels low as possible. Then I check my 1/4 inch wires to make sure they were not faulted but if I plug them directly into the interface I do not get a noise so I know it isnt the cables. Next I tried re wiring the plugs and got a furman power protector. I thought it was a bad mixer but when I monitor the mixer alone with nothing plugged into it but headphones i get no noise. Also I took the mixer to a friends house he plugged up his keyboard and got no noise. The MPC gives a little noise but most of the noise if from the Motif and Fantom even though I tested the wires by inserting them directly into the Mbox and no noise. The most noise is when I hook the mixer up to the interface. Im almost positive it is not any of my equipment because most of it is under a year old with no past of breaks or anything. In the end the noise does come out in the recording even after burned to a CD.

I had a noise problem I chased around on my rig when I was using my laptop in the center.

I think it was a ground loop -- but not one that directly affected the audio but rather caused some kind of digital noise issue... I know that sounds roundabout. What I mean is I think the ground loop caused some kind of minor problem in the digital signal processing which came out as odd buzzing/whirring electronic sounds in the audio.

I was lucky enough to isolate it.

On my rig it only happened when both my MOTU 828mkII was hooked to my monitor amp at the same time my laptop's internal audio interface was.

If I unhooked one of them, everything was cool. But if they were both hooked up -- EVEN if the power was off to the MOTU and my mixer through which it passed -- I'd get those odd sounds in the audio.

(My new tower doesn't seem to have this problem. One thing that's different is that I made a point of following MOTU's recommendation to get a Texas Instruments based Firewire controller card. Who knows?)

My favorite coffeehouse has a similar issue.

They use the same PC that runs their point of sale system to play streaming subscription music (it was more convenient than running the music on the old laptop they used to use).

But when they do stuff on the register software they get these noises on the stereo a little like the ones I experienced -- bud different. They sound like a turntablist doing cuts. It's odd.

Anyhow, your problem may not be the same, but I would continue trying to isolate the problem, strip things down and build them up until you can isolate the specific conditions that have to exist for the noise...

Or you could take it out to the desrt and shoot it. :D

Last edited:
did u ever fix the problem? i seem to be having the same issues. im also using similar equipment.

i know but maybe he found a solution to my relevant problem lol.

I finally figured out the problem and decided to share what i did to fix the hum noise:

1. i plugged all my equipment in the same wall outlet (i had them in two different outlets before)

2. i replaced my usb cord

Now i don't hear ANY noise...I was this close to replacing my mixer and get rid of my mbox lol. I'm glad it was just a cord. hope this helps anyone else who haves the same issue

Back