CPU problems mixing

dwayne00

Hello all, I'm using an Imac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo . WHen I'm mixing and after I've added a few plugins I start to get cpu errors. What's the best way to save cup usage when mixing. Does using SSD drives help save cpu usage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all, I'm using an Imac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo . WHen I'm mixing and after I've added a few plugins I start to get cpu errors. What's the best way to save cup usage when mixing. Does using SSD drives help save cpu usage?

I'm mostly using the waves plugins.

Do you use an ASIO driver? If you don't you might wanna download ASIO4ALL and use that as your Audio driver. Might solve your CPU problems.

Do you use an ASIO driver? If you don't you might wanna download ASIO4ALL and use that as your Audio driver. Might solve your CPU problems.

I'm not sure if Macs need asio4all. What plugins in particular are you using and how many are you loading up? Also, what DAW are you using?

Last edited:
Increase your buffer size, if possible. That should help a lot at the expense of responsiveness. That's a very old computer setup so it'll be hard to upgrade it to do much for it. Increasing the ram may help some. Buying an SSD is always nice, but it'll affect performance mainly if you're recording to it and playing back from it.

Doing music production on a duo core CPU will drive you mad. 16 virtual CPUs is what you should be looking at.

Increase your buffer size when you're mixing, lower your buffer size when recording. In terms of project management, always save your projects on a separate hard drive, not directly onto your computer. Also, upping your RAM might help you.

That's a very old computer setup so it'll be hard to upgrade it to do much for it.

Well, it's not very old - from the CPU specs it seems to me this is a 2009/2010 iMac - perfectly capable for mixing unless you insist using only the latest & greatest (read: most cpu-intensive) plugins. These things still had user-installable RAM, btw.

Also - if your sound sources are plugins as well, consider freezing/rendering the tracks when you go into the mixing phase. It wasn't really said what "a few" plugins actually means, but it should handle that well enough.

If you're using FL Studio make sure you're using the extended memory version. I have no idea why they have a bad version and a good version, but they do.

Back