Connecting the Behringer X1622USB to a computer!

Omar Alhakeem

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]uncle[/FONT]
OK, I have Behringer X1622USB and I'm simply trying to record from my connected XLR MIC to my computer using Adobe Audition.

I have tried everything to make a clean proper recording it didn't work with me! Probably it's the way how I'm connecting my Mixer to my computer which I did it like that:

Currently, I'm connecting my computer to the mixer by connecting the R&L Outputs and the In R&L Inputs to my mic and headphone (on my computer) and I'm taking the main output to my stereo speakers.

Now, when I talk into my mic I can hear my voice but I can't get my voice recorded on AU on the computer. Can anybody guide me on how to connect and test my recording with this mixer?

Um, sorry, can you post _all_ of the equipment you are using, and then write a number by number (1-2-3-4) sequence or flow chart of what's plugged into what? If I understand you (see above), it doesn't make sense (in other words, I don't understand you!)...

GJ

There's a pretty big hint in the name of your mixer on how you're supposed to connect it to a computer – USB.

Btw, the headphone jack on your computer isn't an input, it's an output. The mic input is for directly connecting certain types of mics; the signal from a mixer is of a different level (line level) than what the mic input except, which'll probably cause distortion.

Connecting the mixer via its analog outputs is of course possible, but would need an additional audio interface to do that – which is kind of pointless as there's one built into it (the USB connection).

To be deleted

Attachments

• IMG_9119.jpg
    IMG_9119.jpg
    964.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_9121.jpg
    IMG_9121.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9122.jpg
    IMG_9122.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9125.jpg
    IMG_9125.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9126.jpg
    IMG_9126.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Sound.jpg
    Sound.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
There's a pretty big hint in the name of your mixer on how you're supposed to connect it to a computer – USB.

Btw, the headphone jack on your computer isn't an input, it's an output. The mic input is for directly connecting certain types of mics; the signal from a mixer is of a different level (line level) than what the mic input except, which'll probably cause distortion.

Connecting the mixer via its analog outputs is of course possible, but would need an additional audio interface to do that – which is kind of pointless as there's one built into it (the USB connection).

The problem if I use the USB cable is that I won't be able to mix down my recording and as in consequence I can't use the builtin Mixer effects . I have tried that and the quality is not too bad but as I said I can't edit & control the levels and add effects to my recording.

Last edited:
Are you sure? Check your manual?

You should be able to do everything via USB (hence the design and name). If I understand the way you are wired now, you can hear everything, you're just not recording anything!

Microphone to Mixer? Correct! (But that is not a "track," it's a channel; a track is only in the recording environment-- digital or analog).

Mixer to Computer? You should not be running the mixer mains to your speakers, or anything into the headphone input, as krushing said. You either need to go USB, and make sure that your computer and recording program recognize the mixer as a USB device, or, you need to take the analog outputs and (again, as krushing said) go into at least a two-input/two-channel audio interface (then to the computer). You may need a specific driver or drivers too. Check your manual or go to the Behringer website.

GJ

Last edited:
Yes, those are things you'd do in your DAW (digital audio workstation, or "program you use to create digital multi-track recordings"). If you want to use the effects on your mixer, you would need to add them to the sound of your voice through the channel you're using on the way in to the DAW. So it is recorded that way. I'm not aware of any mixer that will do what it is that you seem to want it to do-- the mixer is only a conduit to getting source sounds and device signals to your recorder (digital, analog, or computer-based, it doesn't matter). It is not a magical post-production box. It doesn't matter whether your input is USB or analog-to-digital interface; it is a mixer, not a recorder. You either record with the effects "on," as you want them, or you need to make changes after the fact, which means that would be done in your DAW, not in the mixer (the audio would already be in your computer, so of course you can't make changes on the mixer at that point).

You seem to be missing some steps in both your physical recording chain, and your concept thereof...

GJ

Thanks Gregg for the information but regarding the use of the Mixer effects "in live recording " which it didn't work with me whatsoever (I'm using the USB cable in this case)! The only way that I could add the effects to my recording is using the effects of the Adobe Audition software afterwards.

Last edited:
Can you get the effects to work at all (i.e., can you hear them on your vocals when applied to channel 1 and monitored with your speakers or headphones)?

I would (re) consult the manual. If you can't figure it out, I would check this Behringer help site:

MUSIC Tribe

It is possible that you have a bad unit, but that's actually really rare compared to the incidence of operator error...

GJ

Back