Christina - Genie in a Bottle/ProTools session

S

straypixel

Hi.

This was flagged up a while back in another post but I thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention in this topic.

The original ProTools session of Christina Aguilera's track Genie In A Bottle:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W8LBHJPC

Ideal for anyone who wants to practice mixing, etc. Seems to have been made on an 888/MIX system. It uses some pretty exotic plugins we don't even have on our HD rig, but there you go.

Enjoy!

Wow Straypixel,
I'm not even gonna ask where it came from.
Thanks for this post!
got any more? ;)

Interesting.
I'm really surprised though how bad the acapella sounds. There's the playback rumbling in the background but apparently not from the cans but it sounds more like the main monitors bleeding into the mic :bigeyes: The different vox tracks are mixed 100% mono, squashed to death and seem to have intermittent phase problems. Whoever did this vox mix must have done it intentionally as is just for this 'tutorial', otherwise I would say to not take the acapella as a reference.

anyone else having problems opening this?? when i open up the folder i can see all of the files but none have any extentions. if possible can someone do a save session copy in and reup? much appreciated.

The lack of extensions might be just that they're done on a Mac. If you can figure out which file is which, you can probably just add the extensions yourself.

hey krushing, i also have the same problem on my imac. the files have no extension. so i'm guessing i should add .wav to all the files in the audio folder and .ptf to the main file.
thanks

That would be pointless. Macs don't use file extensions. In fact, if you rename the files, PT will assume that whatever you add is part of the filename, so it will ask you to locate the files it assumes is missing.

You might not be seeing the Finder icons but that is probably just since they have got lost in the process of me RARing the files on a PC. All the audio headers will still be there so PT shouldn't have much trouble reading them.

Not a chance, mate.

Import the audio files to a Cubase session but good luck lining them up.

I can't vouch for what it will and won't work on. I saved this session with Mac/PC compatibility 'enforced' but that's no guarantee that PT won't find some issue with opening it.

All I can vouch for is the process I used: the session was saved from Mac PT TDM 6.9 to a FAT32 drive. The session folder was then zipped on a PC using WinRAR.

thanks stray, yah, changing the xtensions didnt work. also when i go to import the files into a session, protools doesn't recognize the file and doesn't allow for import, even when i try to drag and drop it in the session.
it's all good, was worth a try :)

You MIGHT have some luck getting it into cubase if you can get the file to be an OMF. but then you still will probably need the plug-ins.

Last edited:
You'd need the DigiTranslator to save OMFs. And that is an extra few hundred $/£ on top of a HD system. Why would you be using Cubase?

Back