Christina - Genie in a Bottle/ProTools session

A couple of notes on how this imported into my system (003 factory). The project imported pretty much fine, although there was one file it couldn't find, I believe it was a midi track or file. It's not necessary to hear the project. Also, the lead vocal track is supposed to be two tracks, L&R, although only the left one is included in the files. It plays okay in mono, but it would have been nice to hear it in stereo. Also, obviously, the vocals are all mixed down, with effects. It would have been great to get the raw vocal tracks. Oh well, it's cool anyway, just to hear everything isolated.

Also, the plugins obviously don't translate (unless you happen to have the ones they used). But, I was able to improvise with the ones I had to replace what they had. Also, (and this may be just the way my busses are assigned) when I replaced the reverb plugin on the aux channel which was used for global reverb, I heard some digital distortion, and realized that the channel had a buss feeding itself! (bus 2). When I removed the send from the aux channel, everything was okay again.

One interesting thing about this project - there are not alot of instrumental parts to it! Simplicity and space are really key in this song. Food for thought, given this song was a HUGE smash.

Last edited:
cus i aint got no pro tools systen and i dont wanna go with that PT LE stuff since i got my full cubase sx 3!
i cant even oben the files because theres no format ending on it n if i place an ending it sounds like the samplerate or bit deth is ****ed up (all i hear is noise) damn i wish i could hear dis damn thing! r there any other studio mixes online? guess theres so much stuff to learn from

There are some multitrack projects available for download at Peter Gabriel's realworldremixed.com - including a multitrack package for "Shock the Monkey" that was part of a remix competition. Pretty cool, and what people did with it was cool too. I've also seen (but do not have) multitracks of Queen's "Killer Queen" and the entire Dark Side of the Moon album. Studios and colleges seem to have some of this stuff around.

I know choosing a DAW is a matter of personal preference, but if you have the kind of money to splash out on a PT HD setup with all the plugins, why wouldn't you use ProTools?

SP said:
I know choosing a DAW is a matter of personal preference
You kind of answered your own question there, but in an attempt to elaborate: Cubase schools' PT @ MIDI functionality & editing. PT is the ONLY DAW currently on the market which refuses to implement ADC, no 32-bit floating point rendering (granted 24 is enough, but no possibility of clipping makes things a little more comforting, of course if your tracking or mixing that hot anyways better gain staging is in order) - Those 3 reasons alone are a good enough reason to object though, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
All true - I understand the point you're making. I've suffered for hours trying to work with MIDI when put into a studio where there wasn't anything else but PT. And the real-time bouncing makes me want to tear my hair out when someone decides to make a change part-way through. In short, I only use PT when I have to.

But spending $12k for even the most basic HD rig implies that you show a preference for PT. The guy's original question was whether this session could be opened in Cubase. Someone else suggested to use the DigiTranslator and make an OMF of the session (which incidentally can only be opened by Nuendo, not Cubase). But you need a HD setup to get the DigiTranslator (it's an optional extra).

The wider point is that it is patently impossible to open this thing in Cubase. The PT session format is proprietary to the point of making itself obsolete, were it not for the myth of ProTools being the most flexible DAW being perpetuated (it isn't, of course).

The problem is that the major studio engineers are all 'old school'. They like their Neve VR consoles and treat ProTools as little more than a digital multitrack recorder. The professionals are full of praise of PT, when in fact they are only full of praise for it's editing facilities. Wannabes then buy overpriced LE interfaces with rubbish DA/AD and stability issues on the assumption that 'getting to' the software will open new worlds in their music production, and that PT can do everything 'in the box' that a studio with a Neve desk, lots of outboard and great mics can. They are mistaken, find that working with MIDI is a headache, and can't return the interface because they have entered into the software licence agreement!

My 2 pence (as it is here in the UK).

Last edited by a moderator:
That's all fair, I honestly thought we were debating something else entirely, I hadn't come to the realisation of the man's preceding post. Hey, in this industry it's all about preference no-how. As soon as enthusiasts quit searching for the 'magic bullet', the better off they'll be.

im usin cubase because down here in germany all the major studios are on cubase! so i can easily transfer my project files n stuff from home u kno? but i hear great things bout pro tools so i might have a glimpse on dat...
well we'll c!

more studio mixes anyone? :P

So did anyone figure out how to get this to work on PC version of PT LE 7.3? OR, know where any other pro sessions can be found?

straypixel said:
All true - I understand the point you're making. I've suffered for hours trying to work with MIDI when put into a studio where there wasn't anything else but PT. And the real-time bouncing makes me want to tear my hair out when someone decides to make a change part-way through. In short, I only use PT when I have to.

But spending $12k for even the most basic HD rig implies that you show a preference for PT. The guy's original question was whether this session could be opened in Cubase. Someone else suggested to use the DigiTranslator and make an OMF of the session (which incidentally can only be opened by Nuendo, not Cubase). But you need a HD setup to get the DigiTranslator (it's an optional extra).

The wider point is that it is patently impossible to open this thing in Cubase. The PT session format is proprietary to the point of making itself obsolete, were it not for the myth of ProTools being the most flexible DAW being perpetuated (it isn't, of course).

The problem is that the major studio engineers are all 'old school'. They like their Neve VR consoles and treat ProTools as little more than a digital multitrack recorder. The professionals are full of praise of PT, when in fact they are only full of praise for it's editing facilities. Wannabes then buy overpriced LE interfaces with rubbish DA/AD and stability issues on the assumption that 'getting to' the software will open new worlds in their music production, and that PT can do everything 'in the box' that a studio with a Neve desk, lots of outboard and great mics can. They are mistaken, find that working with MIDI is a headache, and can't return the interface because they have entered into the software licence agreement!

My 2 pence (as it is here in the UK).

I wish I was as eloquent as you, my friend. I have both Pro Tools and Cubase SX. I always use Cubase when making music because I use the sequencer and all my other toys as slave. Pro Tools isn't as fluid as Cubase, IMO. Though, I still use Pro Tools when someone comes to the studio with A PT session.

Dear All,
im must join to Wreckd.Ive tried to rename or open it in pt hd with software 7,4 without any success.I can see the regions but no chance to hear any audio...
Would anyone of you who could open it reupload them in any audible format PLS?:monkey:
Thanks in advance.
Pannonia

if it helps the audio files are SD2 files if I had the digiconverter I'd be able to convert the session to omf so I could just import into logic :-( so instead I just made a new session and imported. My only gripe is not having the right channel of the vocals :-( oh well it's still cool as hell to hear Christina's vocal control.

Its good to hear from Optyx_production that he could open it.Would you please let US hear it as well?Ive tried it in cubase without any success also tried on 6.9 pt hd but not working at all for me.If i convert those to SDII it wont work for me at all...any help please?consolidate it out for those who cant open them would be soooo niiicceeeee:monkey:
Optyx_Productions said:
if it helps the audio files are SD2 files if I had the digiconverter I'd be able to convert the session to omf so I could just import into logic :-( so instead I just made a new session and imported. My only gripe is not having the right channel of the vocals :-( oh well it's still cool as hell to hear Christina's vocal control.

Last edited:
Here you are, if anyone's still interested. These are 24bit 44.1KHz aif files which should be useable in any sequencer. They are all aligned at measure 1.1.1.1 Three independant zip files. Have fun :)

h**p://**********.com/files/140048197/ChrisGenieMix1.zip
h**p://**********.com/files/140067567/ChrisGenieMix2.zip
h**p://**********.com/files/140093627/ChrisGenieMix3.zip

O.K. Perhaps I'm breaking the rules here… not sure :confused:

You'll have to replace the above asterisks by "tt" and "share" preceded by "rapid" respectively ;)

Fred

Back