can i use a external preamp on my Scarlett 2i4?

ManuelMateus

I whant to start playing with DIV preamps, is possible bypass my Scarlett 2i4 sound interface preamps? if i turn the level down to the minimum of the xlr input it will work? probably i need some thing that just do AD and DA convertion, what do you recomend for start using external preamps to get the sound on my computer

Last edited:
Should be able to use an external preamp. Make sure you use your 48v from one source only if using XLR though. You cant bypass any of the interfaces preamps if using XLR, but you can if using TRS. I use an external preamp on my Scarlett 18i20. Theoretically they should work the same being they're both in the Scarlett series.

Arts Studio V3 Tube MP is what I use. Honestly I got it because I needed signal boost. I was getting bad signal to noise ratio because the higher you crank the preamp the more noise you get and I cant speak for you but the 18i20 signal is low so I would need to shout a bit with that extra noise...that was only because I don't have it where I can speak directly into it at the desk without it being in the way which makes all the difference.

thanks for the tip. I will try that, i thought when i turn on the gain i was using the preamp regardless of connection type

Set preamp to 'line' and turn the gain on the Scarlett all the way down... Unfortunately you'll still get a modicum of Scarlett 'colour' as it's pres cannot be fully bypassed but setting to line and cutting the gain is the best you'll get and should still be workable with an external pre

Back