Can I Permanently Tag an Mp3 File?

I don't think you can, although you may be able to edit it in a hex editor and add some random stuff.

View in iTunes library, right click, info. Edit. Locate on harddrive. Right click properties. Select read only. Apply

That's not permanent.

Nothing is permanent. Are you kidding? Come on. Get over it. But will 99% of the people in the world that come across that file go through the effort to change it? NO.

Maybe if the OP described why he wants a permanent tag then we could better understand what he is trying to do. Copyright? Cause that's the only thing I can think of that would even matter to that extent. There is no such thing as a main stream digital transfer format that is encoded with a permanent tag.

Nothing is permanent. Are you kidding? Come on. Get over it. But will 99% of the people in the world that come across that file go through the effort to change it? NO.

Maybe if the OP described why he wants a permanent tag then we could better understand what he is trying to do. Copyright? Cause that's the only thing I can think of that would even matter to that extent. There is no such thing as a main stream digital transfer format that is encoded with a permanent tag.

Right click go to properties and un-tick read only? Yes they probably would go through that trouble.

Right click go to properties and un-tick read only? Yes they probably would go through that trouble.

Why would anyone do that? Why would someone take the time to edit a file's read properties to edit a tag with false info? Maybe some childish stuff you are use to but not me. The only reason a person would do that is to take credit for a track and lie about it to friends which is petty and never a concern of mine. If I was worried about copyright, I would just GO GET A COPYRIGHT. You are shallow minded.

Why would anyone do that? Why would someone take the time to edit a file's read properties to edit a tag with false info? Maybe some childish stuff you are use to but not me. The only reason a person would do that is to take credit for a track and lie about it to friends which is petty and never a concern of mine. If I was worried about copyright, I would just GO GET A COPYRIGHT. You are shallow minded.

Wow you serious? I guess you are talking about ID3 tagging like me right? If you want your music to stay neat in your library then tagging is a must. Ticking read-only is only temporary and isn't going to help the original poster out. You are stupid for calling me shallow minded and for trying to back up the "Read-Only" shit in regards to his question.

Wow you guys sure are passionate! heh. Ok - Yes permanent so show who made the song/name. Anyone know anything about INTL Copyrights? I know it's like $30 to file copyright here in the US but what if the producer is outside the US, any idea?
I'll study.

Last edited:
Wow you serious? I guess you are talking about ID3 tagging like me right? If you want your music to stay neat in your library then tagging is a must. Ticking read-only is only temporary and isn't going to help the original poster out. You are stupid for calling me shallow minded and for trying to back up the "Read-Only" shit in regards to his question.

You just spout off stuff everyone already knows. We all know that any idiot can change a read only file. But it helps, and that's what I was doing debbie downer. Get over it.

You just spout off stuff everyone already knows. We all know that any idiot can change a read only file. But it helps, and that's what I was doing debbie downer. Get over it.

cool story brah. You answered a question with the wrong answer, I corrected you, you got on a high horse.

cool story brah. You answered a question with the wrong answer, I corrected you, you got on a high horse.

No, I answered to help. You responded like you know more than me or other people. You don't. Your the one on a high horse like your showing me the light when you don't even have a flashlight.

It's so funny to see young people who haven't spent a dollar on music in the last 5 years, but are scared like crazy that their own work gets ripped for some reason.

If people can't directly associate a beat you made with your production style and your name, then yeah, you don't have style. And you have nothing that others might really take away from you.

So, do not panic.

Your stuff is either unique and genuine and can't be ripped for exactly this reason (because every listener will know "oh yeah, that's a XXX production").

Or your music is so one dimensional, stereotyped, boring and non-sense that it has absolutely no personality at all. But in that case, who cares? The music won't be successful anyway.

Don't get me wrong, this is nothing personal. But most people who are scared by such stupid things have a good reason to be: Their lack of creativity.

Getting copied is the sign that you're doing right, it shows that you're creative and inspire people. Nobody can rip your creativity, all they'll can do is promote your stuff.

I'm regularly shocked about the general US music scene ethics, really.

No, I answered to help. You responded like you know more than me or other people. You don't. Your the one on a high horse like your showing me the light when you don't even have a flashlight.

You really are proving yourself an idiot now.

View in iTunes library, right click, info. Edit. Locate on harddrive. Right click properties. Select read only. Apply

That's not permanent.

I corrected you because if he was to do that, when it doesn't work he would feel pissed off. False information.

High horse.

Corrected again.

High horse, and calling me shallow minded. HAR HAR

End of the day, you said something wrong, if you can't take criticism then I don't see why you contribute in the first place.

at OP, if you want to permanently tag something then you could edit the header files with a HEX editor, but if it gets converted etc it will probably lose the information. ID3 tags are easily removed/edited.

look fellas....end this stupid thread. It all came down to a definition of "permanent" and nothing more. The going back and forth is beyond ridiculous right now.

Greeze, why are you coming on to 'criticize' someone (as you said..not me)?

you said something wrong, if you can't take criticism
You can point out where you think it was wrong but criticizing is where the problem started. It was only wrong in your opinion. You opened the door in this case.

Nothing is permanent and I agree with you. But really since nothing is permanent, that was close enough to not need any criticism. I understood it as a correct assumption based upon the information given as to WHY something more permanent than our understanding of permanent is in regards to data in an MP3.

It's time to let this thread go. Both declare yourselves the winner if it makes you feel better. But stop posting stupid silly stuff in this thread.

Last edited:
look fellas....end this stupid thread. It all came down to a definition of "permanent" and nothing more. The going back and forth is beyond ridiculous right now.

Greeze, why are you coming on to 'criticize' someone (as you said..not me)?

You can point out where you think it was wrong but criticizing is where the problem started. It was only wrong in your opinion. You opened the door in this case.

Nothing is permanent and I agree with you. But really since nothing is permanent, that was close enough to not need any criticism. I understood it as a correct assumption based upon the information given as to WHY something more permanent than our understanding of permanent is in regards to data in an MP3.

It's time to let this thread go. Both declare yourselves the winner if it makes you feel better. But stop posting stupid silly stuff in this thread.

I didn't come on to "Critisize" someone, but I pointed out a factual error (not an opinionated one) and he got all bitchy.

Back