Buffer size question

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if the buffer size affects the timing of certain sounds when exporting, or the sound quality at all? I have read a few different takes on this but haven’t really seen a definite answer. I’ve seen some people say that some automation timing can be affected on an export with a high buffer size. Is that true? Or does it not matter how high your buffer size is? I usually export at 2048 or sometimes even in the 3000’s. Thank for your help

When Bouncing or Exporting, buffer size wouldn't apply at all unless you are physically bouncing like to tape or another system.

Buffer size applies to your latency in hearing back what you are playing/recording through your interface. With a large buffer size, you won't risk dropping any data when you listen back but there will be a delay on when your DAW+interface can get it back to your ears. With a small buffer size, there is less of delay (because you are not asking it to hold more data).

If you have outboard gear and bouncing effects through devices, yes this matters. If you're just exporting a file from your DAW, then no it does not need a buffer at all.

Back