Bouncing buss and aux and understanding the final stages of mixing

HalfBlacko0000

Good Music
So I have a bunch of tracks that arnt close to being finished basicly there all tracked out with effects to my liking I understand how to set up a bus and route my instruments in sub groups but when I go to bouncesome of my fx is missing I use logic pro 9. Should I use Aux sends over buss's or is it the same thing? I always hear people talking about the master buss or the 2 buss, is the master bus the same as the main output? Should I send all of my groups to another buss for more processing? I know there is alot of questions but its all in the same area so I thought why not get it all out of the way if you guys have any tips for setting stuff up please let me know

Hi. I´m afraid I can´t clear up all this for you but here are my way to use BUSses. I´m in Logic X but this goes for Logic 9 as well:

Master: Think of the master bus as the final place in the chain where you can add effects. It does not matter much if you call Logic´s OUTPUT1-2 or Logics MASTER fader your master although I like to think go OUTPUT1-2 as logics master-bus.

Missing effects: If you bounce the whole mix, meaning all tracks, no effects that you hear when you play should be missing when you bounce. Unless you bounce specific buses and solo/mute something. Check your routings again and solo/listen to stuff to make sure it´s really there in the first place. If it still happens, try to route it other ways and see if you can bypass the problem.

BUS vs AUX: Use the send function on individual tracks to send them to buses. Logics mixer will automatically set up an aux track for that BUS you selected to send it to. Hence the AUX IS the BUS. At least in this case.
Just keep in mind the 2 different ways of doing this in Logic, you can send "a copy" of the signal to a bus or you can route the output of a signal to a bus. If you send "a copy" by pressing the send box in the track inspector, remember to turn the little circular meter for how much of the signal you want to send. Holding alt while clicking that circular meter sets the send to 0db send wich might be good. Play around and test. No matter if you use the SEND or route the output of a track to something else than the standard output1-2, logic will make the AUX track in the mixer. The AUX is the SUB buss. They are identical in such a scenario. The AUX will also be named BUS X where X is the bus number you selected from the drop down menu.

Here is a setup of a couple of SUB-groups (buses) and how you could use them.

Your bass sound is made up of 3 bass tracks. Instead of sending them to output 1-2, change the output to say BASS SUB MIX (This BASS SUB MIX-bus will automatically be routed into Output1-2 unless you tell it otherwise.) This way you can apply one plugin for all those 3 tracks on the sub-group.
You can set up several sub groups like that. The advantages are easy to see. Lets say you have some choir arrangements (7 tracks) and a nice pad/strings arrangement (9 track). You adjust the volume perfectly for these 16 tracks by soloing the 7 choir tracks first, later the 9 pad/strings tracks and they play perfectly fine. Later in the mix you find out that you need to carve som space in the 7 choir tracks with EQ, and you need to reduce the volume of the 9 pad/strings tracks and also you need to EQ them a little. That can all be done on the BUS instead of on all tracks one by one. There are a lot of better examples how BUSses can make it easier for you when projects grow more and more complex.

Send your groups to new groups? Yes that is handy if you for exampel want to apply a bandpass or whatever effect to say, just the music/beat but keep the vocals untouched. Then grouping all vocal BUS/tracks to i.e. VOCAL SUB MASTER and all music SUB- busses to INSTRUMENT SUB MASTER. These two are again routed to OUTPUT 1-2.

I remember back in the days when I could not grasp the concept of SUB-busses. It is really an easy concept. Just play around with leading tracks to busses.

Really have no idea if this came across as understandable. Feel free to ask.
There is also alot of good youtube videos on subgrouping in logic.

Last edited:
I dont know how if thats a new feature in logic X but you cant bounce your auxes or send in L9 did you use L9 before X? The only reason I know this is because I use rewire in reason. But I figured out how to bounce those tracks its a pain for me but lets say I have sub groups for my all of my drums, leads,strings,guitars, and bass now I have fx on all of my 5 sub group busses but now I want to bounce those into audio files how do I do that the reason I would need it if I sell a exclusive I want to be able to give them the sub groups with the fx on them. When I say sub group im not talking about the numbering system im talking about relaying them to a aux or should I group them with the numbering system also? Thank you so much heyclown I hope you understand what im talking about

Just started Logic 9 and made a small project you can download here
If those linked files did not work, send me a PM here with your email and I will send it to you by mail.

To bounce a BUS you have to solo the tracks that goes to that BUS and use the the BOUNCE option from the file menu, top right or press CMD+B. When bounced drag the audio file into your project or import it. Then it will bounce with the EFX you have on the BUS.

I do not understand what you mean by the numbering system. Basically BUS=AUX. A BUS need an AUX to show up on a channel strip in your mixer. So when you add a BUS by routing a track or more to a BUS by selecting a SEND/OUTPUT it creates an AUX automatically.
Stop thinking different about AUXes and BUSses. For the most they will be working in pairs. Watch the video below. For routing you mostly just need to think BUS.

I do not use REWIRE but my thoughts are that you can bounce rewired external programs like REASON etc by soloing the tracks and record. Then import the recorded material into an audio track. Or soloing and recording straight to an audio track. IDK.

And when you sell the beat you want to give them the SUB groups? Do you mean STEMS? A stem is a stereo (mostly) bounce of selected tracks, often with EFX on them. STEMS are used in mixing and/or mastering to simplify the process; to streamline it. STEMS can be all bass guitars on one BUS, BOUNCED/RECORDED out to one audio file. All drums, all choir, all vocal doubles, all main lead doubles and what not. No limits setting up stems. All drums etc etc..
If you mean stems start using that in your vocabulary, as people will instantly understand better what you are thinking of.
Yeah, sending stems to clients can help a lot in many ways, instead of sending the full mix as one audio stereo file.

Last edited:
Yes my vocab is very poor im sorry Stems is what I ment and as far as the numbering of groups so you can solo and mute its under the I/O section of the mixer. So to clear things up ill solo the track not the buss, file-export track as audio file search for file drag n drop on audio track? I think thats it do you make a special folder for this for tidyness sake?

Logic makes folders in your project folder automatically even before you bounce. They are called audio files and bounces.
I place bounces in the bounces-folder. If it ain´t there just make one by pressing new folder lower left in the file menu that opens when you have selected bounce.

Yes, solo the tracks that lead to the bus. Solo the BUS too if you need but I dont think thats necessary. Then BOUNCE and select the file by importing it either by searching for it from the import file (cmd+Shift+i) or from logigs file browser on the right side of the arrangement. All you project files are listed there if you select the correct window/layout.

Thats it.

Last edited:
Back