Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Bass Like Waka Flocka

Thanks

Big Bass Like Waka Flocka

Sign in to disable this ad
    How do you get the bass to sound big like Rick Ross and Waka Flocka tracks.I know about distortion and harmonics,but i still can not achieve this sound,I also tried turning down everything else but the bass and still no luck,Can somebody please help.I know its possible because some sound click artist know how to do it.

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 AM ----------

Somebody!

Thanks
    Use Massive, check out a tutorial on YouTube

Thanks
    Two pointers:

First, have the right sound. Good/full bass usually has a tight frequency where it hits. Distortion is definitely a neat thing to play with if it feels like your bass needs more beef.

Second, more important, have the right mix. Most of the power of the bass usually comes from how it relates to the other parts of your mix.
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/rho_official/rho-chosen[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Thanks
    Cut everything below 31hz(just EQ the Master Output). Cleans up alot of distortion.

The rest has already been touched on by Morz.

Thanks
    what should be higher in the db meter,the kick or the 808 and how much seperation between the two

Thanks
    I'm not sure where i read it but I tried it and it seems to yield some pretty good results. Play the same bass part an octave higher keep the lower bass part mono and add a little stereo width to the higher part. Hope it helps.

Thanks
    what should be higher in the db meter,the kick or the 808 and how much seperation between the two
    My 808s are usually a good 1-3 dB below my kick. I'm not a master mixer but from what I've heard I think everyone's 808s are quieter than their kicks. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong though!

How do you get the bass to sound big like Rick Ross and Waka Flocka tracks.I know about distortion and harmonics,but i still can not achieve this sound,I also tried turning down everything else but the bass and still no luck,Can somebody please help.I know its possible because some sound click artist know how to do it.
    EQ, EQ, EQ. EQ out the mud of your bass and emphasize the key frequencies to get it beefed up. A little saturation and compression never hurt either.
    Last edited by ROBICHEAUX; 06-05-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Thanks
    ^^^You hit the nail on the head with your post.

Only thing I disagree with is compression. Alot of people still compress drums, i think it serves more of a purpose when leveling live drums or samples, but when you're programming digital drums like what you'd find in an 808 kit, you can control everything with velocity and vol/gain knobs.

I don't even waste time EQing individual drums. I just load a 7 band EQ on the master track, cut everything below 31hz, boost at 78-80hz.

I never EQ individual instruments unless it's needed to sit well in a mix that usually involves more filtering and playing with mids and highs(with what I do, but everyone works different, so no written rule).

Also keep up with the sound of the times. These day I find myself bossting at 78hz alot more to keep up with the sound of current releases.
    Last edited by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup; 06-05-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks
    Also keep up with the sound of the times. These day I find myself bossting at 78hz alot more to keep up with the sound of current releases.
    Boost at 78 hz on your master? What is the effect of this other than ramped up bass?
    Last edited by ROBICHEAUX; 06-05-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Thanks
    It's the same thing you do in the mastering process to entire mixed songs. Don't M.E.'s "ramp" the low end to give it presence(yes, they do, trust me, I know)?

There's no right or wrong answer other than making the mix sound good, but all you're doing is EQing an entire mix. 78-80hz is where the presence I like to fatten exsists in music I do. Same place it exsists in most clean bassy hip hop. It can exsist at 64hz in bassier subby mixes, can exist at 120hz at cleaner "poppy" sounding mixes.

Why would that seem like the wrong thing to do? lol.

Tell you what, try it, if you don't like the results, don't do it, lol.
    Last edited by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup; 06-05-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Thread Information