Best ways to reduce bass from a sample?

MF Dove

Hey guys, I'm new to production and sampling world...

I was just wondering if there are any ways to reduce the drums and bass guitar from a sample, through the use of EQ or free VST's?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if your just trying to completely remove those sounds (like an acapella) or partially. For the first case you could use something like melody.ml, a website that uses AI to split a sample into drums, bass, vocals, and other. It's quite effective for splitting a whole song into stems. But if you just want to reduce, EQ the sample with either a high pass or low pass filter. Usually a high pass filter will work better, especially for bass. You can also try isolating certain frequencies with bell curves, it really just depends on the sample and what affect your trying to achieve. Trust your ears and do what sounds good!

Hey man, thanks so much for the reply! I'm definitely going to check out that site, sounds really useful. I meant like really reducing the bass frequencies of an audio clip, I've found a pretty cool sample but theres crazy loud drums that make it hard to use, I'm new to mixing, do you know of any useful videos / demos of using EQ like that? Thanks.

For a level imbalance (like the loud drums) eq won't really help on a full sample. But try running it through the website and split it into 4 stems. It will give you a drum stem, you can then lower the volume of that stem separately (like your mixing the sample itself!) and get it right where you want it. The website isn't perfect but the drum detection is pretty solid imo.

Back