Best MIDI / equipment for acoustic sound

excalibur00

Hey!

So I don't know if this is the right forum or subject to post this on, but I have a question.

I play the piano but need a midi controller because I want to do some work on computer programs. I use mostly garageband and Logic Pro. I need something similar to the garageband iPad version- so basically a keyboard with pads to trigger certain chords or melodies and drums. I've been looking at the Akai MPK mini 3 and Arturia Minilab 2 and also the Arturia key lab 61- but watching videos of these they seem to be used for mostly hip hop or electronic music- which I am not really interested in. I want to create music and sound that feels authentic and acoustic. Think of classic rock or folk kinda thing.

I have no experience with midi controllers but like I said I play piano and keyboards so I know things that far.

very appreciative of your advice

jimmy

You can use any MIDI controller you want and feel comfortable with. The more 'features' on the keyboard, the more range of things you can control, but really MIDI has not changed a lot since it's invention so it's pretty easy once you wrap your head around it. You're sending notes hoping someone at the other end is receiving your signal and can make some sound.

The onboard sound cards have a MIDI module that plays basic synthesized sounds based on the note information you give it. YOUR JOB is to find the right sound module that can take MIDI note input and play back some amazing and rich sounds from the samples that might be included.

I use Reason as my DAW because it comes with a lot of samples and synths that produce sound based on a range of methods. Garageband and Logic also come with some samples and synth instruments that can take your notes and translate them to sound.

But to elevate the production of what you want to do (Instrumental to Gypsy) is find a sample pack / instrument pack that has all those sounds. Something like Native Instruments KOMPLETE is, as it says, a complete production bundle of instruments and sounds.

MIDI Controller ------notes-----> DAW -----notes------>(input) Software Instrument - chosen sample (eg.Grand Piano) -----audio-----(output)-> audio interface---------> speakers

A very thorough answer from Storm. Any or all would/can work. The thing is, your question in its essence, is a little odd. “I want to make authentic acoustic music using the most basic electronic means.” I mean, nothing beats a piano recorded with good microphones. But there is the obvious savings in learning curve, time, and money. So it will be a trade-off. Just be aware of the limitations and be self-aware. A mini-key MIDI controller will not feel like a piano, and a synth sound General MIDI sound or sample pack will not be the same as recording your own instruments live. Nonetheless, people have been doing convincing orchestrations for films using MIDI and computer-based tech as a matter of course for what? Three decades now at least?
Everything is possible. The style of music is irrelevant. But check your expectations...

GJ

Back