Best headphones for recording vocals without bleeding?

JAMESUK

Hi everyone,

I am just about to set up my home studio and I wanted to know the best closed back headphones for tracking ie recording vocals? At the moment I only have a cheap pair of headphones and I have experienced bleeding when recording vocals so everytime I try to record a vocal the microphone Rode NT1A also records some of the backing track which leaks/bleeds from the headphones.

So any tips or recommendations about the best headphones for recording vocals without bleeding problems would be welcome.

Many thanks.

I would say any brand closed headphones that don't have lots of lows, but more mids. I use Acoustic Research ones, but they don't produce them anymore...

Hi JV72,

Thanks for that. I have read so many different reviews and now I am even more confused! lol I will keep looking though.

Do you record vocals at home as well in your home studio? And do you ever experience any bleeding from your headphones? I am interested in your recording technique to keep the bleeding problem to a minimum or to eliminate it completely.

How loud is your backing tracks when you are recording your vocals? Whats the gain setting like on your audio interface? And how far away do you stand from the microphone when singing because I know all of these things can effect the bleeding from a pair of headphones into the microphone.

Many thanks.

JAMESUK, I don't have any special technique. I do whatever I need. I remember once I cut one of the wires of a headphones for recording a very quite singer who used only one side of them, so I cut the other to reduce the leaking, because at that time I didn't have a panorama knob on my headphones aux. But most of the time I don't have problems with singers or acoustic instruments. At least the bleeding is the song itself, right? The biggest problems are drummers using clicks. If nothing helps, I force them to find earphones. That's my technique :-)

Back