Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Headphones for Mixing and Mastering

Thanks

Best Headphones for Mixing and Mastering

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey all,

So due to my limitations on being able to acoustically treat my mixing area in my apartment i am going to invest in some open back headphones. I KNOW ITS NOT THE IDEAL WAY OF MIXING (I just want to emphasize that) however I would like some opinions on headphones that will translate well and are the best for mixing and mastering.

Iím looking to spend $400-$500.

Btw Iím make rap music and also practice on other genres of music when mixing.

Any advise right now would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Thanks
    Well, if you really want to spend that much (I personally don't recommend this though), you can consider:
    1. Sennheiser HD 650
    2. Shure SRH1840

But, why I say I don't recommend this, is because if - at some point - you really want to take music to a professional level, you can't go around the fact that you need monitors. I mean, you can't go pro, if you rely solely on your headphones. So, as long as you don't equip yourself with monitors and proper treatment, you're not pro level. And I don't - by any means - say this to offend you, don't get me wrong! But I just don't think spending 400$ to 500$ on headphones for non professional use (once again, not trying to offend you) is worth it.
    If, however, you know that in the near future you are going to go for a more professional setup, then sure, spend the money and get those awesome sounding Sennheisers, they'll complement your studio for sure!
    But, if you don't know for sure you're going to invest in proper sound + treatment, don't bother spending the money, and just get the more affordable Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, and you'll be more than fine.

If you only have headphones, you can't compare to other solid sound sources (and comparison is important if you want to make a finished product and send it to labels or whatever), so that's why 500$ exquisite headphones are just as good as 150$ solid ones, in your case.

And no, I am not a professional music producer myself whatsoever, so feel free to neglect anything I just said. But this is what makes sense to me, imo.

Anyway, good luck in finding the stuff you need!
    Last edited by MasterMelodies; 03-07-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterMelodies View Post
    Well, if you really want to spend that much (I personally don't recommend this though), you can consider:
    1. Sennheiser HD 650
    2. Shure SRH1840

But, why I say I don't recommend this, is because if - at some point - you really want to take music to a professional level, you can't go around the fact that you need monitors. I mean, you can't go pro, if you rely solely on your headphones. So, as long as you don't equip yourself with monitors and proper treatment, you're not pro level. And I don't - by any means - say this to offend you, don't get me wrong! But I just don't think spending 400$ to 500$ on headphones for non professional use (once again, not trying to offend you) is worth it.
    If, however, you know that in the near future you are going to go for a more professional setup, then sure, spend the money and get those awesome sounding Sennheisers, they'll complement your studio for sure!
    But, if you don't know for sure you're going to invest in proper sound + treatment, don't bother spending the money, and just get the more affordable Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, and you'll be more than fine.

If you only have headphones, you can't compare to other solid sound sources (and comparison is important if you want to make a finished product and send it to labels or whatever), so that's why 500$ exquisite headphones are just as good as 150$ solid ones, in your case.

And no, I am not a professional music producer myself whatsoever, so feel free to neglect anything I just said. But this is what makes sense to me, imo.

Anyway, good luck in finding the stuff you need!
    No offense taken, I appreciate it. I just purchased the HD650ís from SweetWater. I feel like after watching a lot of videos Headphones in the 300-600 range are all pretty similar with only a few minor differences (that just what I got from hours of videos). I feel like I made a good purchase though.

Thanks
    Yea for sure, when you buy Sennheiser, you will get quality, no doubt. You'll enjoy them!

Thanks
    Also, consider using Sonarworks to calibrate your Headphones and get a more linear sound experience.
    How to Choose the Best Studio Headphones? – Sonarworks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarquezLux View Post
    Also, consider using Sonarworks to calibrate your Headphones and get a more linear sound experience.
    i don't write english very well but, sonarworks did a nice job! it is useful to check your mix.. even though you can still mix without it, it helps to get a neutral sounds but i as i said it's not really neccesary... what's better is the room calibration option for your monitors...but it's a lot more expensive, greetings from chile
    Last edited by puremetal; 03-17-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks
    I'm satisfied with my audio technica m50x
    decent price too on amazon.

Depends on how much you wanna spend

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarquezLux View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by puremetal View Post
    i don't write english very well but, sonarworks did a nice job! it is useful to check your mix.. even though you can still mix without it, it helps to get a neutral sounds but i as i said it's not really neccesary... what's better is the room calibration option for your monitors...but it's a lot more expensive, greetings from chile
    Yeah I did the free trial and the plugin is pretty useful if all you really have is your headphones to mix with. Iím thinking of buying it soon.

Thanks
    My sennheisers always came apart really easily.. not great quality if you ask me. This was years ago though. I recently got the AKG K712 Pro though.. which to me is expensive (to you apparently not), but it's great so far. Great imaging to really pick apart those tiny details and there's copious, but natural sounding low end, which is lacking on the cheaper K-series. I haven't had them long enough to seriously judge them, but so far they're excellent.

Thanks
    Nice man. My Sennheiserís are doing good thus far. They sound good (better than my audio techicaís) but not sure if theyíre worth the $500... maybe time will tell after the break in period.

Thread Information