Best freeware plugins for compression.

jmbriley

Which are the best for vocals. I demoed the RVox and I liked the way it sounded on my vocals. Any freeware compressor that can compare to Rvox that has no latency.

not all that great on vocals, but check out SSL's LMC. its free and a copy of the listen mic comp from their early consoles

SlimSlowSlider

Ephonic

Both are good compressors too but maybe a bit to hard for vocals. I can recommend the fish fillets, buzzroom (pretty transparant) and kjaerhus ! Used them a lot !

I find the SSL not really suitable for a lot of things. The only thing they are really good for is the PG intruder drumsound from phil collins. It was designed as a heavy talkback section compressor. It compresses really the hell out of everything.
Not suitable for a good vocal take Imho (where you need gentle compression just to tweak the tops and the dips)

SantiBanks said:
I find the SSL not really suitable for a lot of things. The only thing they are really good for is the PG intruder drumsound from phil collins. It was designed as a heavy talkback section compressor. It compresses really the hell out of everything.
Not suitable for a good vocal take Imho (where you need gentle compression just to tweak the tops and the dips)

yeah sorry, should have made it clear that it aint a transperent comp.

sorry

check one of my own vst comps, it's free & exclusive for FP's...
...i already posted one some time ago, here is a new version...

..it's an upward compressor/expander with an additional limiter. more than 3 years of developement are testing are in this box, it sounds really nice on everything. there is only one addition (!) taking place in the audio-path, no hidden EQ's or clippers, and a full 64bit floating point processing. dithering from 64bit fp to 32bit fp is included, but some further dithering going down to 16bit is still very important to really hear how clean this thing is ;) . the expander mode is very nice for muddy samples.

it's a vst dll, simply throw it into your vstplugin folder.

some features:

• ultra clean automated parallel compression (and expansion) using 3 different sidechains.
  • nice brickwall limiter with (really) intelligent release control and no clippers inside. intersample detection. the limiter looks simpler as it really is ;)
  • and a k-stereo delay network (!!!!! :bigeyes: !!!!!) with subtle static settings simply enhancing everything a producer like. don't wonder if the sound is better even without "turing the knobs". this is not a joke, this algorithm is pretty easy but patented. this is not my problem, i'm living in germany... ;)

the only drawbacks are:
  • this plugin has problems in cubase & nuendo, if you hide the plugin and show it again, it will get back to the originals settings... ...i'm working on it. (don't hide the plugin until i fixed that)
  • only windows
  • mainly tested in wavelab (i build them for my own, i don't have commercial interrests... ...i don't test the plugs in other programs)

have fun and give me some feedback!!

Last edited:
wish I really could test it ! But too bad its VST and windows only :( If you can find someone who can make an Audio Unit or just even port it to Mac OS X in any format, it really will be a good one !

(There is a lack of free professional audio plugins for mac in just any format.)

wait a few month and get an intel mac ;)

the point is, porting this audio plugin is pretty easy, it's pure math and some simple gui stuff, but i don't know any real programer using a mac ;)

but all you need is a c++ compiler and the vst-sdk from steinberg. changing 5-6 settings (this is the only point where some knowledge is needed) and compile the code... ...i can send it to you, if you are interested.

Last edited:
the only thing I can do is php/mysql and html and the like. So not programming languages...
I once downloaded the SDK from steinberg but didnt know how it worked etc etc.

You can't run your windows programmes on an intel mac on the OS X side... You still have to boot to windows.

comp.png

here is a new version, i fixed the cubase/nuendo GUI hide bug. and the limiter has been improved a little.

Last edited:
:)
haha, now heres an old bump!

moses, any chance this genius lil freebie you blessed us with is still available somewhere?
i still have v.1, but i never snagged v.2.
its useful.
id also love to hear your or anyone elses recommendations on any current compressors on the market that do a good job on upward.

thanks!!

well i realized that CQ1 from Sonalksis will basically do this job. if it is as amazing as DQ1 im sure i wont be mad.
but id still love to have moses' handy little tool too. ;)

Back