Are the Beats Pro by Dre headphones as good as they claim to be???

musicman187

well it said gear review, so i hope im in the right place for this, but does anyone have any experience with the Beats Pro by Dre headphones?? im super obsessed with these headphones, and would like to buy a pair soon. but before i do, i wanna make sure ill get my moneys worth... does anyone know if they are really as good as it is marketed to be? in other words, are they somewhat decent for producing, mixing, and maybe mastering as well??? i really want to take my music to the next level, and i feel just in the mixing alone, my beats will improve ten times over. i just need the right equipment to get the sound im lookin for. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

There not good for mixing....only for the average listener...go with other headphones that are designed for mixing

Yeah, what J. Smith said. They're listening headphones, and still a bit overpriced, even after taking that into consideration. For the love of God don't try to mix on those. Ever.

Here's what info I have to offer on headphones:
Brands like AKG will be much more accurate, however, that generally means they won't sound "good." For something like referencing a vocal mix, K271 MK II's will be great. When you adjust some mid frequencies, for example, you can take off the 'phones and listen to your adjustments on a set of high-end studio monitors, and they'll sound the same. However, you'll barely hear the low end on the AKG's, I mean, it'll be there, but you'll almost need to listen for it to hear it. If you're going to be trying to mix beats with some heavy sub-bass (808s, or really any kind of deep bass/kick), the AKG's won't work for you. *That being said, there are some K702's that I haven't ever listened to that could work for this. Maybe someone else here knows?* Also, listening to music for long hours does not go hand-in-hand with the bright midrange tonality of the K271s. They are really meant for reference and tracking.

All that being said, I can recommend to you the Audio-Technica ATH-50's. If you're producing, these will be great. They've got a darker sound to them. They're flat, except a huge drop in the mid frequencies. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. For an accurate mix, this won't really be helpful (most listening headphones have this curve in the mids as well; cutting the mids makes the sound less harsh). A vocal mix will probably sound completely different if you mix it and then you take them off. However, if you plan to have them on for several hours at a time, the smoother sound from the reduction of the mids will be a blessing to your ears. Aside from the mids, they have a fantastic frequency range, with highs that are clean but not painfully harsh, good lows, and then a sub-bass that is difficult to find in most headphones. Neither the low nor the high end are boosted, either.

Sorry if my writing is confusing or unclear... I'm exhausted right now and not necessarily thinking straight...

idk if this even cleared anything up. if anything it may have confused me even more. idk if u guys know which headphones im talkin about. these are the Beats Pro by Dr. Dre here. the ones that are "Designed by Professionals, for professionals"... i mean yeah i trust in what u say about headphones AK, im very sure u have way more years of experience than me, but if its all marketing and these $400-$500 headphones are just for the average listener, then the price is downright ridiculous and this line of headphones should just be discontinued, i mean i will pay the amount for the product if it really does what it is marketed to do. but if not, then they simply wont sell cause of the before mentioned, the price, hence just discontinuing the line in total. idk u guys. i appreciate the insight, ill keep lookin for some more info on these headphones. at least yall prevented me from wasting the money, and time on something i may not be happy about later down the line. if u can provide anymore info, its still very much welcome, and very much appreciated. thanks.

Yeah, I know you're talking about the Pro. The silver ones, right? I actually haven't ever listened to a pair of those, however, I was in the same place as you about 2 months ago. Please, just don't waste your money on those things. Whether they're usable or not for monitoring, they'll still be at least several hundred dollars overpriced. In other words, with 150 bucks you'll be able to find several pairs of headphones that will all sound better and more accurate than the Beats Pro. Maybe someone who's more experienced can give us another opinion.

If no one on here has anything, it might be worth making an account with head-fi.org. Their entire purpose is to answer questions like this, so if you want to talk to more informed folks... That's probably a better place to ask.

Don't buy headphones to mix on. The left and right channels will sound more separated than they actually are. Get a pair of decent monitors and maybe a pair of Sennheiser hadphones as another source to listen to and check your mix.

if your talking bout the ones that are 299 then they are the best things I have ever heard since I have been living...you heard the thing you were meant to hear. They are good for mixing...

if your talking bout the ones that are 299 then they are the best things I have ever heard since I have been living...you heard the thing you were meant to hear. They are good for mixing...

You've clearly never heard any decent pair of headphones.

They are definitely NOT good for mixing. They won't even run without batteries, which is used in the pre-amp to over compensate the low frequency and bass.

In case you forgot, you want accurate reproduction in mixing, not exaggeration.

Even just for casual listening I find these headphones aren't good unless you only listen to rap music. Any other genre and it will sound too bassy.

do nooooooooooot buy them if you're going to use them for mixing! they boost frequencies so you'd come out with an unbalanced mix
theyre built for casual listening to mp3's on ipods, laptops etc

if you are willing to spend that much money on beats pro, go for AKG k701 or other AKG and Sennheiser phones. Beats are more for listening than professional use. go for brands that are known in the industry for years.

The beats series are made by Monster Cable, endorsed by Dr. Dre. This company also sells 200$ HDMI cables and such, it really is all clever marketing and shiny products. I got the Beats Studio and immediately took them back for a pair of Ultrasone's that were 15$ less and sound so much better. It really is night and day.

ok thanks for the insight. i see what your saying. it makes alot of sense actually. cause now when i think about it, it is all just marketing and gaining profit... and ill check out that website too.

save money, go with sennheiser HD 280, tried and true for $100

registered just to say this cause that other post about the beats being amazing for mixing made me rage

Last edited:
You've clearly never heard any decent pair of headphones.

They are definitely NOT good for mixing. They won't even run without batteries, which is used in the pre-amp to over compensate the low frequency and bass.

In case you forgot, you want accurate reproduction in mixing, not exaggeration.

Even just for casual listening I find these headphones aren't good unless you only listen to rap music. Any other genre and it will sound too bassy.

since 1997 I been doing this, I have been part of mixing record on major albums. and he/she was saying where they good enough for mixing. im no amateur

since 1997 I been doing this, I have been part of mixing record on major albums. and he/she was saying where they good enough for mixing. im no amateur

they are NOT RECOMMENDED for mixing cause the Beats boost the low frequencies in whatever is coming through the headphones, because of that it makes it hard to judge and mix because you are deceived by having the low frequencies sounding alot bigger than they really are.

what sounds good in a mix through the Beats will not sound the same through a pair of studio monitors made for mixing.

edit: grab $100, go to your nearest audio store or go on a music site and purchase the Sennheiser HD280.

Last edited:
I personally feel anything celebrity endorsed, they're always gonna have some major drawback, it just tends to happen that way. Except for the Quincy Jones AKG's, they seem to be really good

Back