Beat Drowning Out Vocals

Unknown Child

K, so I have a pretty decent soundin mix on a beat. Im throwing it into Pro Tools as a stereo WAV file. The hook is mixed to the beat and is sounding crisp. Problem is, when recording the hip hop vocals (the rap verses) they get drowned out by the beat. When run without the beat in acapella, it sounds crisp and clean...after using some eq and a bit of compression... but when the beat gets unmuted the vocal on the verse is getting somewhat drowned, whereas the hook that is somewhat rap-singy is heard quite well... any ideas? appreciate the help.

Unknown Child said:
K, so I have a pretty decent soundin mix on a beat. Im throwing it into Pro Tools as a stereo WAV file. The hook is mixed to the beat and is sounding crisp. Problem is, when recording the hip hop vocals (the rap verses) they get drowned out by the beat. When run without the beat in acapella, it sounds crisp and clean...after using some eq and a bit of compression... but when the beat gets unmuted the vocal on the verse is getting somewhat drowned, whereas the hook that is somewhat rap-singy is heard quite well... any ideas? appreciate the help.

My first guess would be that the Lead Vocal is NOT mixed in with the Music (Like the Hooks were), rather, it is being placed "On Top Of" the rest of the song.....

Vocals SHOULD be mixed WITH instruments AS instruments....

You get MUCH better mixes that way

Yea, i would avoid mixing vocals over a stereo file if at all possible.

For now though to make some room.... im gona say, roll the low end, any where from 100-150hz. Do a boost around 2kHz-4kHz with a wide Q factor, and maybe add a little air around the 12kHz-22kHz, not to much though.

You may have to do a little EQing to the beat a well to clear some room for the vocals. Look in the area of 120Hz-350Hz.

Hope this helps.

Back