Bass through a guitar amp???

Ste20man

Hi.

I am recording a song at the moment and have been using Trilian to generate my bass sounds. It sounds decent but I am wondering about recording some real live bass guitar.

My friend has a bass she can lend me but I only have a Fender Blues Deluxe re-issue guitar amp to send it through.

If my line is Bass guitar - fender blues - SM57 - focusrite Saffire 6 - Fruityloops, do you think it will sound good?

Can you run a bass through a guitar amp like this and does it provide good results? Does ayone know?

Cheers, Ste.

You will definetely have to eq the sound, because the speakers of guitar amps are made to produce in other frequencies.
Probably compress it then.
Cheers!

I'm a bit new to this so sorry for this question coming up.

When you say DI the bass, does that mean direct input? I.e. Bass - normal guitar cable - into my saffire 6(turn up the gain)?

Very little bass guitar sound in recordings is from miced speaker cabinets, unlike guitar.

With DI, plus cabinet simulation, you will be able to match the sounds you have heard.

(31 years of bass and guitar experience, BTW)

Thanks MT3000

31 years, can't pass up the opportunity to ask a question if I can? Is there a cab sim for bass guitar thaet you and others would consider 'standard' if you know what I mean. Something that would be your personal go-to bass cab sim?

Cheers, Ste. :-)

Back