Bass Drum Velocities

StanleySteamer

Hey FP, I currently use FL Studio and basically I was wondering what you guys do with the velocities of your baselines(like bass guitars and what not) and bass drums(808s, lexluger 808s, etc). I normally just keep it at the standard 75% or whatever it comes at but I have heard of people pushing it up to 100 on their baselines and bass drums. Also I was wondering if maybe you guys increase velocity to some of your other drums as well? Feedback always appreciated thanks

I boost the note velocity all the way up on both kicks and 808's it just gives it that "OOMPH!" I don't boost anything on on a Sub Bass though...

I boost the note velocity all the way up on both kicks and 808's it just gives it that "OOMPH!" I don't boost anything on on a Sub Bass though...

Interesting. I have heard of using it on 808's and what not but never on kicks. Is this a common technique? Also would you consider a bass guitar a sub bass? I have a 2 note baseline running over a 1 bar sample of mine and I have its velocity turned up all the way I was wondering how you and others feel about that.

Unless it is multisampled, turning the velocity up is no different then turning the volume knob up. Use velocity to add dynamics, if you just want it louder turn up the volume.

Interesting. I have heard of using it on 808's and what not but never on kicks. Is this a common technique? Also would you consider a bass guitar a sub bass? I have a 2 note baseline running over a 1 bar sample of mine and I have its velocity turned up all the way I was wondering how you and others feel about that.

I like doing it on some kicks it doesnt sound good on all of them. I basically follow these rules when creating bass lines.
-If using 808 layer it with a nice punchy kick right under it, DO NOT put and 808 and sub bass together it will just create distortion.
-If I'm doing a SUB bass then I also use a punchy kick ride under it and same thing dont do sub bass and 808 together.

If your planning to do a bass guitar and a sub bass which I wouldnt recommend because it could be hell to mix, just make sure you turn down the bass on the bass guitar so it wont create distortion or just use 1 dont use both OR you can just have each play on different parts of the beat but not at the same time. Try boosting the velocity and see if you like the results. Boosting the velocity will raise up the volume but you can always it down a tad bit on the mixer and the thump feeling will remain there even when turning down the volume on the mixer thats why I like it. I also do it sometimes on some snares to give it that SNAPPP!! NEEEVVERRRR on closed hi hats or open hats but then again it all depends.

For kicks and 808s, I set the velocity on the sampler to where it'll play at a constant volume no matter what velocity I play at. For most electronic music, like hip hop, the kick is usually at a constant volume. If you're using an acoustic drum kit in something like Kontakt, you might want to switch up the velocities a little to get a natural acoustic feel.

Back