Background Vocals for Live performances

S2theD

hey ive done a ouple live performances here and there but i usually like to use just raw vocals, however i noticed that many hip-hop artists will perform a song but their tracks already have vocals on them. does anyone else here do this? and do you mix the vocals a certain way when preparing for a performance? or is it better to have a hype man add libbing your vocals as you are performing.

Depends on what you want in your performance!
Do you want to rap along with your pre-recorded vocals?
Or do you want a hype man adlibbing your vocals as you're performing?

Its kinda a catch 22, if you have nothing but the instrumental playing and you rapping over it, it'll sound more like a live performance (which is a good thing) But it might not sound as full and professional. Now if you have your pre-recorded vocals in the backround it may not sound like an authentic live performance, but maybe it'll sound better... its up to you

well ive performed over tracks with the vocal still in em. its bad because its like they wanna hear u perform not the studio recording but its good cause if u run out of breath or forget a line u got the song backing you up. wut u do is make a tv track which has ur adlibs at the same level as the regular song but the lead vocals are turned way down, still present but very low. this way it sounds like a live show and u still have a backing vocal to help out when u need a breath or stumble a line.

I'd go with the backing track(ad-libs, and hook). 1. so you can catch a breathe, take a sip of water, or you can even get creative with it.
2. the sound guy can really fnck you up, your mic may sound like sh!t if its even heard at all.

I say just leave the ad-libs, the hook part, and anything else importanat that must be heard, like 1 db lower so your vocals still take front center.

I've always performed my songs by rendering the performance track without the main vocals. It acts like an invisible hype man and allows to audience to see that you don't depend on the actual recording to make a great performance happen.

Just make sure you Know your lyrics.

What you're talking about is called a "TV Track". It's a mix that any professional mixer will automatically include on a mix job. It's the song minus the lead vocal, and if the song fades they will try and make a stinger (abrupt) ending (if it's possible). This is typically what artists perform over for club and TV dates, although for full-blown arena concerts they will do something else.

For most clubs and most TV, the sound will suck so even if you have folks on stage to do your bg vox they might not be heard. I always recommend using the TV for any of these kinds of shows.

Back