Audio Clipping in Reason

DIGITUS

I need some feedback on issues concerning audio clipping in Reason. I'm currently working on a track and this time I'm trying real hard to pay close attention to sound levels and placement so as to avoid audio out clipping. However, it seems that the avoidance of clipping results in a sound volume that's too low.

How do I get around this? I'm thinking I should just pay attention to how the sounds sound and ignore the fact that the volume seems low. As long as the sounds blend well at a low volume, I can always use T-Racks or Wavelab to give the final track that extra pump for loudness.

Is this a proper assumption? I get really frustrated with the fact that when I actually start paying close attention to the clipping meter, the overall volume of the song is so low.

I'm just wondering how my fellow Reason users handle this issue... :)

Thanks

The only way you can keep your levels up but avoid the clipping is using a compressor or a limiter. If you get CuBase you can use it's soft clip feature,etc. Also look for where you have things multiplying on top of each other in a certain frequency range. if you can pull out a certain frequency but not affect your sound too adversely, that might assist in getting where you want. Otherwise, mix each track out individually and combine them in an audio app like proTools free.

Reason

I have noticed this too. However, when I export out my song to a .wav file, the levels seem to go up. I found this out the hard way. I had the master level turned up so I could hear the sound at what I thought was good, and the clipping indicator kept going off but I thought screw it. Then I exported it to a .wav file, played the .wav file and almost blew my headphones. I cracked the levels back down and exported it again and it sounded fine. However that is annoying, I would like to hear the sound level as it would be when it is exported and I don't know why this is not so.

I've also found that in complex mixes, they sound far clearer when played out from reason but when mixed out loose a lot of the depth. I hate to have to record OUT to a DAT and then back in or something like that. So i've been experimenting with mixing each track out manually doing a mix in an audio app like Cubase and then mastering from there. That also lets me do my mix and master with a lot more effects on hand.

Back