AT2020 vs SM57

nvus

I'm working with an AT2020 at the moment. It's the first mic I've gotten. I record rap vocals in my room where my computer is so it's not sound proof. I'm wondering if I should invest in an SM57. I've heard the SM57 is better than the AT2020 if you don't have a soundproof environment.

Yes, SM57will pick up less computer noise, what kind of preamp are you using?

SM57 will give you a less defined frequency response than 2020 but due to it being directional it'll pick up less ambient room noise but you'll trade off vocal body for more controlled recording.

I have the 2020 and a SM58 and I use the SM58 when I need a more relaxed/live sound to my recordings.

i'm using an m-audio mobilepre for the preamp.

so are you suggesting that I should get the 57? I've also been recording in my closet cause it's more confined and a lot quieter in there. not sure if that's a good idea or not

Last edited:
i'm using an m-audio mobilepre for the preamp.

so are you suggesting that I should get the 57? I've also been recording in my closet cause it's more confined and a lot quieter in there. not sure if that's a good idea or not

It probably isn't a good idea. Closets tend to sound boxy, comb filtering, add reverb, and a lot more problems. If the closet has carpet, and a lot of clothes, maybe blankets, and is fairly big so you aren't right by a wall or a corner, then that might be better. I would suggest recording in the middle of a room or setting up packing blankets to help with the room acoustics.

my room is pretty small. the closest i can get to the middle of the room would be near my computer which is LOUD from the fans. i'm thinking of investing in a quieter computer case.

my options at the moment are to stick with the at2020 or get an sm57. from some light research, the mxl v67 seems to be highly praised for rap vocals; maybe i should invest in that instead?

Last edited:
Back