Ask about Mono vs. Stereo

which instrument must be stereo in mix?
I know it depends on the music, but i wanna know, totally which is the best?

as with all creative decisions there is no right or wrong, just choice

it is also important to remember that being in stereo does not mean that there is a signal in both channels, but that the signal can be far left or far right - that is, a sound can be anywhere in the stereo spread and still be defined as being stereo, even if the source is mono - it is the placement within the stereo Left-Right spread, that gives a sound it's own place within the wider mix.

In addition to simple panning, techniques such as Haas-Delays (delaying a source by a short amount (2ms-45ms) in the opposite channel) will give the semblance of that source being more in one channel or the other...

which instrument must be stereo in mix?
I know it depends on the music, but i wanna know, totally which is the best?

like the bandcoach said, there is no right or wrong. but the instruments you always want to be centered are the bass melody, 808 sub, and main vocals. if you make music destined for club play i'd suggest you make sure your stereo mixes sound well when played in mono settings. reason being is because you don't want people on opposite sides of a venue unable to hear something you panned hard left or right.

Back