Arranging/tracking without being in the mix position.

crimsonhawk47

So I've decided to stop starting tracks in headphones all together if I can help it, as I've read about a lot of people working this way, and I feel like my ears fatigue too fast and I end up with bad choices when I use headphones for even sketching out a song. The problem is, I don't have a place for my midi near the mix position. It's a big 61 key keyboard. I always turn my monitor and wheel into the mix position if I'm ready to mix. Will this get in the way of basic sketching?

The good news is I might get a keyboard with weighted keys, and I can get one that's shorter than 61 keys, so maybe I can move that near the mixing position instead?

just use cans when you record. How often are you actually using the keyboard at the time time that you need an accurate response? Probably never. Just program in a simple motif, get in mix position and engineer your sound. THEN once you have your sound just put on your cans and go record at the keyboard ignoring the sound..all you need to hear is the pitch of the notes at that point..Then when you're done recording just go back to mix position without cans.

I dont see why you think you need a perfect frequency response without cans just for recording

Because my volumes are all over the place when I'm wearing cans because the soundstage is so exaggerated. Something that sounds quiet on cans can be really loud in the monitors because of the way the reverb is interacting with it.

I also don't like engineering my sound before I even have the arrangement settled, because that's a recipe for never finishing a song.

So simply use them for recording and when you're finished with that, reset your faders and start them again with monitors... It's not meant to sound incredible when you're recording, that's why pro producers often use headphones in airports with their laptops.

Last edited:
Because my volumes are all over the place when I'm wearing cans because the soundstage is so exaggerated. Something that sounds quiet on cans can be really loud in the monitors because of the way the reverb is interacting with it.

I also don't like engineering my sound before I even have the arrangement settled, because that's a recipe for never finishing a song.

adding reverb is a mix decision not really a sound design decision unless it is integral to that specific sound

- some pads and similar work better with integral reverb/delay as part of the instrument design in something like massive

So I would suggest creating your sounds (with or without reverb/fx), turn the fx off during recording/tracking and then turn them back on when it comes to mix time

Back