Apollo Twin Question

garyjones42

Hey, trying to get my subpac to play nice with my new apollo twin x interface. I have my monitors in the L and R channel, and my subpac plugs into the headphone output. Is there anyway i can “link” the headphone volume and monitor volume? What happens now is basically since the headphone out and monitor outs are separate volumes, if i turn the volume up or down for my monitors, my sub levels dont change since it is being ran through the headphone out, a separate volume. There for the audio and sub will fall out of sync, and is not a very accurate way to go about mixing. Is there a way i can link or mirror the volume controls of my monitors so they can both receive and output the same exact signal? Thanks

The headphone out is *not* the optimum way to drive a sub-woofer. The subpac, if I understand it correctly, is basically a modified, portable "butt-kicker" haptic device.

I would just mix using the stereo monitors.

But, you spent a lot of money on the subpac, so I'm sure you will insist on using it. That being said, you will want to try using one of the Line Out outputs that should be on the back of your Apollo Twin (there seems to be a few different versions, but I must assume they are there). The subpac uses a mini-jack (1/8") input, yes? Depending on what it wants to see input wise, you will either need a 1/4" mono to 1/8" mono cable (or appropriate adaptor), or a stereo 1/4" to single stereo 1/8" cable to run from the Apollo to the subpac.

But I really think you should sell it and use stereo monitors (and a chorus of "OK Boomer" was sung by all).

GJ

I love the subpac im definitely keeping it, but even if i put it in one of the other outputs on the apollo twin, i wont be able to turn on the volumes on both monitors and the subpac. There for it will still go out of sync :O

What does the subpac literature suggest? The headphone out is a no-go. The volumes will not match, but that doesn’t mean anything is “out of sync.”

GJ

interesting read on the phase. But subpac support told me to use the headphone out, and the main L and R for monitors. By out of sync i ment that if i turn up the volumes of my monitors, the sub volume wont go up with it. Meaning it will be hard to keep the levels the same and balanced when im changing the volumes up or down. The subpac is ment for headphones, which is what i mainly produce on. For mixing i definitely need to be using my monitors at least as a reference because mixing 100% pm headphones doesn't work to well for me. About that phase if my speakers are about 2 feet in front of me do you think it would be a big problem? How would i know how to set a delay track on the subpac and measure the amount :)

You probably won’t notice phase issues but I thought you might want to know. As far as volume adjustments, that will just take some getting used to, I guess. They would be neither out-of-sync or out-of-phase, just not volume-matched. I guess you will have to get used to making two adjustments.

You definitely should *not* mix exclusively on headphones. But it’s also so inefficient and unoptimised to be using the headphone output that way. I can’t believe that’s how they designed it. Weird.

GJ

This has really been bothering me. Are you *sure* that the subpac support person said “Use your interface’s headphone output?”

Researching a little, I think I’ve found that the subpac controller is its own crossover circuit and volume control. And it has a line-in input. I REALLY think you should try one of the line-outs on your interface, directly into the subpac, and use its own separate volume control. Ditch the headphone out and headphone volume control.

GJ

Last edited:
PS— There is a thread over on Gearslutz re: the subpac. Maybe you’ll find something useful there. I only skimmed the first page, but they were cautioning people regarding the subpac tearing up office chairs (!)...

GJ

Back