Anybody using dbx 160A for vocals?

I haven't used one in a while but I'm trying to find one for tracking purposes. Most def my next purchase.

It's a very clean and transparent compressor that is great for getting a nice even signal to your D.A.W.

Eventually I want a 1176 for tracking but the 160AD is a great deal and is close to the A model.

Its a pretty smooth compressor and transparent. It doesn't really add artifacts to audio, but, what I didn't like about it, is that it rolls off the some highs, and it lacks some fullness on the low end. It sounds warm. But it is very simple to use. It's kinda punchy too

Neumann u87--->Focuserite ISA828--->dbx 160a

I personally like using the fairchild or avalon for tracking.

Last edited:
Its a pretty smooth compressor and transparent. It doesn't really add artifacts to audio, but, what I didn't like about it, is that it rolls off the some highs, and it lacks some fullness on the low end. It sounds warm. But it is very simple to use. It's kinda punchy too

Neumann u87--->Focuserite ISA828--->dbx 160a

I personally like using the fairchild or avalon for tracking.

Really??? Most engineers consider the Avalon compressor a waste of time. Although I don't hate it, it's considered by most to be too slow.

And I don't know about it taking out highs and lows. Look at what your referencing it with. Two compressors that had high end sparkle and harmonic saturation. Maybe it's not missing anything. It's just the Avalon and the Fairchild adding something that the DBX doesn't.

I also hate the Focusrite ISA stuff to be lacking and kinda sterile. How do you like it? I use a Chameleon Labs 7602 which is a similar design but the ISA lacks output transformers and that's what I find gives the most mojo. The only mic pre's I would trade mine for is a couple that cost 2-5 times more. Such as an API, SSL G, NPNG, or BAE.

Really??? Most engineers consider the Avalon compressor a waste of time. Although I don't hate it, it's considered by most to be too slow.

And I don't know about it taking out highs and lows. Look at what your referencing it with. Two compressors that had high end sparkle and harmonic saturation. Maybe it's not missing anything. It's just the Avalon and the Fairchild adding something that the DBX doesn't.

I also hate the Focusrite ISA stuff to be lacking and kinda sterile. How do you like it? I use a Chameleon Labs 7602 which is a similar design but the ISA lacks output transformers and that's what I find gives the most mojo. The only mic pre's I would trade mine for is a couple that cost 2-5 times more. Such as an API, SSL G, NPNG, or BAE.

The avalon is slow. I usually set the threshold to -13dbfs, so it hardly ever actually kicks in. I just like the character of running it through the 737.
My favorite compressor, is the adl 1500, but since I've only been working out of my homestudio now, I don't have access to one. Its definately the next thing on my list after a new pre.

I like the focusrite isa for its clarity, it is really transparant, but it does lack character. Which usually would be a bad thing, but thats why I run it through the avalon or fairchild.

I haven't used a 7602. The preamp that I really want is a Neve 1073 dpd.

The preamp that I really want is a Neve 1073 dpd.

I would love to have this thing for mic and bus duties as well but a dual mic pre is outta my price range for now. My next preamp will probably be the BAE 1073MP--not an AMS Neve but still sounds great at $1100.

I think the CL 7206 is the best deal on a Neve style mic pre. You can find one used in the $500 neighborhood and with the $300 transformer upgrade you would be splitting hairs trying to find a difference. I use mine with the stock tranny and I'm very happy with the sound and actually prefer it over the Great River mic pre. The trim knob on the CL is sick, and I like the filter also.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

BTW, I would LOVE to have a ADL 1500. But I'll probably build a Drip LA-2A clone when I get some extra time and cash for such a project.

Back