AnyBody Got Any Mixing Techniques?!

352Don

In need Of Mixing Techniques.. About to Start Recording For a New Mixtape and I want it to sound as close as possible to official.
I use Adobe Audition w/ a Samson USB mic on a HP laptop. Anyone with Mixing/Mastering tips will be greatly appreciated..

I need to know how to make the vocals sound clearer and better quality...

You can hear some of my previous mixing/mastering here-->> Solja P - Swagged Out - YouTube This is my brother rapping but I produced it (Feedback) Thanks

I really don't have any super secret tips that'll automatically help you out, being the fact that they don't exist. Every recording is different. Here's my mixing process to get things sounding as good as they can, with my home setup.

1. Recording. This is the first step of a good mix. Make sure your recording environment is treated. Make sure you deliver great takes when you track the vocals. The thought "Oh, I'll just fix it in the mix" is just being lazy and really, you can't fix what's already broken, you can only cover it up.

2. EQ. Don't do too much that's unneeded. Most people hear "you have to run a high pass at 80Hz and clean up the Mud at 400Hz, and blah blah blah.." ... Once again, each recording is different. Here's the wise thing to do. Take a 7-band EQ, and turn the Q as high up as it goes, and sweep through frequencies until you find VERY ANNOYING / EAR PIERCING frequencies and reduce until it sounds better. When working with an EQ, always try to reduce bad frequencies, rather than boost. If you're still lacking the fullness, or clarity, then slightly and gently boost where it's needed... You obtain clarity from 7K+, but you also get "air" and "hiss" so be aware and listening. Don't trust the nobs, always trust your ears.

3. Compress. I suggest you learn how to compress and how it works if you don't already know, to make your life easier.

4. Less is more. People try to do wayyy too much, and in the end it makes things cluttered and sounds like issh. If you can achieve fullness and clarity from just running one vocal track and not stacking/doubling then by all means do it. I was talking to E.Dan about a year ago, and he told me that Wiz only runs a Lead on his tracks.

5. Try and fail, and then try again.

I hope this advice helps some what. I feel like I'm ranting though.

That's some very good advice, imma most def try it
I Don't feel like you're ranting at all , I appreciate the tips

Try to lower your volume levels, and use compression to bring them back up. This makes the sounds clearer in most cases. DONT OVERDO IT THOUGH

the best thing you can do is record your levels low around -20db getting a clean signal is key to a good mix

I really don't have any super secret tips that'll automatically help you out, being the fact that they don't exist. Every recording is different. Here's my mixing process to get things sounding as good as they can, with my home setup.

1. Recording. This is the first step of a good mix. Make sure your recording environment is treated. Make sure you deliver great takes when you track the vocals. The thought "Oh, I'll just fix it in the mix" is just being lazy and really, you can't fix what's already broken, you can only cover it up.

2. EQ. Don't do too much that's unneeded. Most people hear "you have to run a high pass at 80Hz and clean up the Mud at 400Hz, and blah blah blah.." ... Once again, each recording is different. Here's the wise thing to do. Take a 7-band EQ, and turn the Q as high up as it goes, and sweep through frequencies until you find VERY ANNOYING / EAR PIERCING frequencies and reduce until it sounds better. When working with an EQ, always try to reduce bad frequencies, rather than boost. If you're still lacking the fullness, or clarity, then slightly and gently boost where it's needed... You obtain clarity from 7K+, but you also get "air" and "hiss" so be aware and listening. Don't trust the nobs, always trust your ears.

3. Compress. I suggest you learn how to compress and how it works if you don't already know, to make your life easier.

4. Less is more. People try to do wayyy too much, and in the end it makes things cluttered and sounds like issh. If you can achieve fullness and clarity from just running one vocal track and not stacking/doubling then by all means do it. I was talking to E.Dan about a year ago, and he told me that Wiz only runs a Lead on his tracks.

5. Try and fail, and then try again.

I hope this advice helps some what. I feel like I'm ranting though.

I think this is great advice. Not all that much to add to it honestly.

Mixing techniques don't really "exist"... sort of. To get a good mix, 1) Record it well, 2) Hear it well, 3) Identify the issues, 4)Know what tools to use to fix the issues, 5) Do whatever creative adjustments you want, to improve the overall mix.

That's technically kind of it. The "techniques" may come moreso in the 5th stage.... you may use parallel compression to give the vox a different type of fullness, you may sidechain a compresser to make ur bass duck under the kick and get a kind of "pumping" thing going. You may automate a high pass EQ on/off to add some flavor to an otherwise boring song. You may automate sweeping that same EQ rhythmically. Sometimes I'll automate a reverb from 20% up to 100% over 3-4 seconds for a phrase that I want to resonate after taking away a beat for a few bars. Get creative.

Techniques kind of imply things you "have" to do to get a good mix. So there really aren't things you HAVE to do. More like, things you may want to do depending on the song's situation, and things you CAN do to get creative with the song. A mix really does make or break a song.

Change your brain first, and your mixing will improve. You'll start to ask the "right" questions, b/c you'll realize new things about mixing that you didn't know. After I changed how I approached mixing... that's when I finally started getting positive results. This site has everything to do with that. I'm glued to it. Now my confidence is skyhigh, and I recognize things that I didn't even know that I didn't know lol

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

I think most people new to mixing jump straight to #5 lol, and wonder why their mix sounds like a record needle slicing through a saucer of sh*t lol.

I know I sure did at first. Took me a while to figure out that it's a much simpler approach. The complicated stuff is done after you understand the basics, and you want to go above and beyond. You need a good mix first, and then you can try to start rivaling the great professional mixes. You don't always need incredible.. you just need "good", until you start moving 100k units.

Last edited:
I've got two tips:

1. Apply Voxformer VST with "Nice and Transparent" preset (or other, depending on the voice type) on the vocals to make them strangely more clear...

2. In the very end, when you're done with everything, drop a QuadComp VST on the entire thing with the "Mastering" preset on.

Brap brap brap ^

Couldn't possibly sum up all of the techniques, and even if I did half of them wouldn't make sense.

But here's one tip that is vastly overlooked that IMMEDIATELY improve your mixes:

Monitor at low volume levels. Don't mix with the sound cranked. Your system will respond better, your ears will respond better, and it forces you to make the music sound good without using loudness as a crutch. If it sounds good quiet, it will sound great loud.

don, just some quick and crucial tips: keep an eye on your low mids(around 600Hz), that's where your muddiness is, and that's where most heads fail, by not taking enough out of that range. this will help you out too man:
podcomplex-frequency-overview-chart.gif

Attachments

• freqmusic.gif
    freqmusic.gif
    23.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
gate your vocals to knock out background shit... eq, then compress. if you compress before eq you'll have to go back and **** with the eq again

i would also say to Compress, and get the feel of the track(i know that sounds very generic). and on the dub you did to your vocals i would lower the db on them and take out more of the lows so it doesn't sound so muddy.

Back