am i dreaming or what!?!

M

memyselfandi

ok so i have searched and asked and searched and asked....to no avail!...pls just tell me that what i'm asking for is not possible...i am a newbie....all this talk and MIDI makes very lil sense to me...so i am wondering....all i want outta my computer and a piece of software such as Sound Forge/Acid/Reason is to take live sound from an acoustic drum via a souped up shure sm 57 mic, process the sound/add effects (or just make it sound like a techno drum) in real-time and send the output to speakers...thats all....i dont wanna go the fx pedal route and wanna use my computer for any sorta sound manipulation....please advise!....and help will be greatly appreciated...

You need a souncard with a input, connect your micro and sample it with software like "steinberg wavelab", "soundforge" and this software is also able to lay effects on your drums. No problem dude, u need just the right soundcard, the software [edited by administrator] and some cables.

roger that!

thx buddy for the valuable inputs...just one concern...u mentioned that fx can be added real-time/live with softwares such as SF...the opinions i have been getting so far are that SF cannot be used for real time fx...please confirm this for me...have u by any chance tried doing that so far?...cheers!

btw...where in europe r u from?...been 2 europe a few times, so just askin'; )

Scientist.. just so you know piracy talk is not allowed here. Please respect that when you post.

as far as soundforge goes i don't think it'll do it in real time.. i think this scientist misunderstud you cause he was talking about sampling the drum. if you sample it theres no problem with the effects, but in realtime....
there's a cheapo way... the soundblaster live platinum has an integrated fx section...with this card you can achieve precisely what you were talking about...wether the fx sound like what you want is another question.

i dunno, have soundcard(terratec(yeah i know!?!)) with ins n' outs myself but havent found anything to do this with. i wanted to use the computer as a mixer and virtual patch element for fx(vst/directx) with my groovebox. tried it with steinberg stuff(cubase,wavelab)aslo with sonic foundry(acid,soundforge,etc.) maybe emagic logic will do the job but i don't know my way around it at all.....

Sorry ManoOne,

memyselfandi:
yes i misunderstood, steinberg-cubase is able to lay effects in realtime, with a soundcard, which has inputs. (i prefer the Delta 44 - not expensive and well doing job)

yeah how?
when i tried to do this it doesen't assign a channel of the incomeing audio unless you record(maybe this has to do with my soundcard) this is the vst 24 3.7 version though does the vst 32 version do this?
thnx

I only have cubass 32, but older versions should also do that, by clicking on the line-in button at the audiotrack parameters over the stereo/mono-button.

yes, it surly must go, check your setting.

Back