AKG C3000 vs. Audio Technica 4040

pakkman6

been looking at these two mics because they are in my price range of 250-300 dollars..i know AKG is a good name and i've heard alot of people compare the C3000 to the 414 which is a classic mic. I also had a friend who had a 4040 and his stuff sounded pretty decent without the mixing & mastering (he doesnt know how to do that) on the tracks..but my question is which mic is the overall better mic for rap music, i never heard any material recorded with this mic so i dont knoe how they compare..

no one can help a brotha out?

Last edited:
I like the AT4040. Good for the money. Also look at Studio Projects mics, and Marshall MXL series mics in that price range.

And nothing sounds like a c414 except the c414. One of my favorite mics.

The AT 4040 is very boomy on the low end frequency. It is a great mic for rap though. With a little eq it sounds nice. I would suggest running it through a preamp and a compressor/limiter unless you want to do the eq post recording. I like to eq before it gets to my interface. I would only recomend high end AKG mics. The cheaper ones do not use the same ribbon that the high ends mic possess.

C.U.R.S.E. Life Ent said:
The cheaper ones do not use the same ribbon that the high ends mic possess.

What are you talking about? This discredited your whole post. The mic's we are talking about contain NO RIBBON! Ribbon mics are expensive and require a lot of gain from an expensive pre.

The AT 4040 is very boomy on the low end frequency. It is a great mic for rap though.

In my opinion it isn't that boomy compared to other mics I've used and boomy mics are terrible for rap vocals in my opinion. I felt like it had a present bottom and lower mid but not really boomy. A little roll off and your good to go. I like mics with a really crisp and present high end for rap vocals to even out the low voice. Or use a dynamic large diaphragm.

Last edited:
when I first started researching I tested the AKG 3000 and The at4040 side by side.....I went home with the AT4040.....

It is the TRUTH as far as I am concerned and it sounded MUCH better than the AKG on my voice.

Since then I have had the opportunity to record SEVERAL rappers and they ALL compliment me on my vocals....

Want an example....

Check out "SummerTime Girl" on my myspace link

PEACE

Last edited:
I would suggest running it through a preamp and a compressor/limiter unless you want to do the eq post recording {snip}... I would only recomend high end AKG mics. The cheaper ones do not use the same ribbon that the high ends mic possess.

Everything about this post is nonsensical!

BigBrotherMotown said:
Want an example....

Check out "SummerTime Girl" on my myspace link

The vocals sounded great. What does your signal chain look like? Really surprised me. I usually don't hear such quality on here.

Last edited:
Morning_Star said:
What are you talking about? This discredited your whole post. The mic's we are talking about contain NO RIBBON! Ribbon mics are expensive and require a lot of gain from an expensive pre.

In my opinion it isn't that boomy compared to other mics I've used and boomy mics are terrible for rap vocals in my opinion. I felt like it had a present bottom and lower mid but not really boomy. A little roll off and your good to go. I like mics with a really crisp and present high end for rap vocals to even out the low voice. Or use a dynamic large diaphragm.

First off *******, I know you are talking aboud large diaphram condenser microphones...High end AKG mics use ribbons or tubes...SO iwa seaking in terms of saving and getting a higher end Mic. I have an AT 4040 and I also have an AKG Perception...Both of which are "Large Diaphram Condenser Mics" and the 4040 is boomy to someone with no skill in the EQ category. Some are ignorant to the fact that things do not come out of the box sounding crisp. I have been producing Rap/R&B for almost 10 years. I have seen a lot of mics come and go. I have a pair of KRK and Mackie Monitors and the Mic sounds Boomy. It is my opinion. Thanks for your input though...

Damn...That track summertime girl is fly as hell. You got a nice voice there fam. Beat is nice and it fits your swagg. Respect...1ne Love

Last edited by a moderator:
First off *******, I know you are talking aboud large diaphram condenser microphones...High end AKG mics use ribbons or tubes...SO iwa seaking in terms of saving and getting a higher end Mic. I have an AT 4040 and I also have an AKG Perception...Both of which are "Large Diaphram Condenser Mics" and the 4040 is boomy to someone with no skill in the EQ category. Some are ignorant to the fact that things do not come out of the box sounding crisp. I have been producing Rap/R&B for almost 10 years. I have seen a lot of mics come and go. I have a pair of KRK and Mackie Monitors and the Mic sounds Boomy. It is my opinion. Thanks for your input though...

Ribbon mics are not even commonly used at all anymore especially for vocals. They are mainly used on drums and string instruments. They might have been common 50-60 years ago. You don't know anything your talking about. If you have been doin this for 10 years you might need to take some schooling or give up cause you are struggling to be in it that long. And if that's true and you have so much great gear, what are you doing with a Tascam U-144 little sound interface that you still can't get to work right in Cubase.

In fact AKG doesn't even make ribbon mics!!! HAHAHAHA!!!

Maybe you need to read your post again and apologize.

I'm a professional mix and recording engineer. I work at major studios in ATL. And the Mic is not boomy. Maybe with those bass heavy monitors you have and a bad mixing room. But it's not the mic that's boomy.

Back