Akai DPS16 + Mackie board

DJ Promo

Is it wise to buy an Akai DPS16 and a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro board? Some people connect everything directly to the DPS...But what happens when you need more inputs?....:cry:

I will use the Mackie inputs for modules, samplers, vocals....then after EQing and applying Effects output "all" to the DPS16 for recording. How's that?

How about adding a patch board to those two?:eek:

How about getting a digital mixer (Yamaha 01V are getting cheap) with ADAT, and then an ADAT soundcard?

You'd record everything in Cubase, routing all the signals from the 01V to it digitally (a few ADAT cables).

Of course its just an idea :) but I'm sure i wouldnt get BOTH dps16 AND 1604. The DPS16 is probably good, but I wouldnt buy an analog mixer as well.

I used to own the 1604VLZ Pro so I'm not just talking like... :) trying to help

Cubase....Cubase...Cubase...

How about Yamaha 01V + Akai DPS or other Digital Recorder?...How about I pay you a trip to P.R. so you can teach me Cubase?:D

Yo, seriously:

I got Cubase 5.0 VST32, but this is the deal...My current soundcard is crap (AWE64) so I don't have good sounds and if I want to import soundfonts, it only has 512k memory, I have a Kaysound MK-149 midi controller (not bad for a start), but not having good sounds or an external sound module kind of push me away all this time into really learning Cubase or another soft/seq. I'd played with it, but when I try to go deep in the menus and settings I get lost....In the other hand, I will go against anybody on how to use Cool Edit Pro, FruityLoops, Acid Pro 3.0, Sound Forge, Recycle....so as u can see I'm not that dumb.... :cool:

I WHISH i had a friend like you next door that would teach me first hand how to get the most out of Cubase....then I can buy a super PC instead of having to buy a Digital Recorder...not even an RS7000 or MPC sequencer!!!

Its time to make up my mind....my $$$ is coming soon....:victory: :cry: :victory: :cry:

DO NOT BUY MORE RECORDING STUFF!!!
Sorry to shout, but seems like you are about to spend loads of hard currency on something that you don't need. I have friends who use the Roland VS1680 and whenever we collaborate on stuff they are always overjoyed by how easy it is to do stuff with Cubase. Spend the money you would have spent on the DPS16 on some synths, drum machines etc. (I like hardware ManoOne always bangs on about software, you'll have to make your own mind up). If you go with hardware, get the Mackie mixer - or try Behringer. (You could go for the 01V with ADAT, but that sounds like more than you need at the moment and it's another harder learning curve). What's the spec of your computer? Will it really struggle to do the whole recording thing?

If you have any specific questions about Cubase post them up, I'll try and answer if I can (honestly I'm at work when I get on this board and I'd far rather answer your questions than do what I should be doing!)

:cheers:
KasioRoks

just trying to help :)

as I said there are many possibilities here. Its just that (again) an 1604VLZ PRO (which I had) AND a DPS16 (which I almost got) are good but buying them both is maybe not a good thing to do.

Originally posted by ManoOne
just trying to help
Aren't you always :D :cool: Didn't mean to sound like I was having a go at you, just responding to the info that Promo gave after your answer. Just seems to me like he/she needs to spend a bit of time using some gear that makes some noise before worrying about how to record it. Just using the GM sounds on Cubase through an 01V + ADAT won't help. By investing a little bit in some more modules/soft-synths I reckon Promo could take a big leap forward & then start to worry that the recording side of her/his setup isn't good enough. But that will take a while and in that time he/she will probably get a better feel for what recording setup would be best.

Maybe I'm just so used to having no money so that I'm always really concerned if people are going to spend money which isn't necessary?;)

KasioRoks

That's cool Kasio :cheers:

Promo is the same one who posted that he has 12,000 dollars to build his studio so I thought this would be the way to go.

Here we are talking mostly recording (that's the forum he posted this thread in hehe), but you are right, he should also focus on the sound generation as well. I already gave him the advice of getting a nice sampler with a few sample CD (AKAI CD-ROMs, not cds to sample) as well as a nice synthesizer (Access or Waldorf) to hook to his sequencer.

Music equipment is so much fun :)

I didn't realise - I have a real problem with names! Schitt, $12,000!!! That would be so nice.

Just read the thread. Promo, have you budgeted for living costs? Cos if you wanna do this as a business you need to work on it full time and suddenly $12000 doesn't seem that much. On the other hand if you can just spend that money on gear .... I don't even want to think about it!

Anyway, I reckon my advice still stands. If you're going to invest that much, you need to have a better idea about what will work for you, which you can only gain from experience. Take a bit of time to understand what gear you have at the moment, so that you can discover its limitations in order to find out what piece of gear you need/want next. Possibly a new synth or a sampler, but that's all. If you put the hours in with these and the kit you have already it won't take you long (a week, maybe 2 - I'm talking 12 hour days here) to fully understand them and then think about what you need to get next.

Good luck mate.

KasioRoks

To Mano Uno and Kasio:

MY GOAL: To create Hip-Hop (mostly), R&B, Dance and even Latin music. My main project is a Various Artists Hip-Hop record with local artists and then some solo projects (R&B, Club, Latin) All local artists with a lot of talent. Add to that my personal projects. There's also a good market here for making demos, instrumentals, mixes for dance competitions & fashion shows, radio spots, etc. In other words, as soon as I can MAKE this my only way of living....

Important: My current setup is a NO NO. In fact I only have my busted PC, only good there is my Plextor 12/10/32 cdrw and int. ZIP drive, 12 year old Technics 1200's, JBL D8 speakers, receiver, old dj mixer and more than 2,000 records....please...I will only keep my Midi controller and get all the samples, projects and software in my current system and transfer them to the new PC I will buy.

You already now my gear budget, so this is my idea to see if I can make my mind once and for all, cause I don't want to bother you anymore wit this ****. There are more lost souls outhere and they need help also.

Scenario 1-Let's say I go HARDWARE only....by that I mean NOT recording and sequencing on the PC. So I wilI need:
Sequencer
Sounds
Drum machines
Sampler
Recorder

Scenario 2-Let's say I FINALY learn Cubase, so then I can record tracks & sequence all on the PC. So I will still need Hardware...like a digital board, Interface for the PC (ex. DELTA 66, ADAT) sampler, drum machine...SOFT synhs and samplers? I don't know...still struggling with Cubase, so....

Hey Mano, I added HALion and Battery to my collection. 2 more beasts to conquer...:eek:

I went to "access" website and heard a demo of virus....sounds great!!! but this is one of those synths where u have to create the sounds right? Only for dance music? Expen$ive?

I heard what you said about getting a EMU sampler and the Cd's, good point but does it have a high learning curve? need to get creating right away...

MY POSTS ARE GOING TO BE LEGENDARY...:D

Originally posted by DJ Promo
I heard what you said about getting a EMU sampler and the Cd's, good point but does it have a high learning curve? need to get creating right away...
The E-mu rocks. This has the same OS as my E-5000 (some of us don't have your budget;) ) and I found much easier to get on with than the Akai S3000 - I don't know about the S5000 & S6000. Make sure you buy the manual from E-mu though, or find someone who can print out a 400+ page PDF file!

KasioRoks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back