Advice for keeping music in my life even if I’m not pursuing it?

Michaeljones

I am currently a senior in high school and I’ve been in music for as long as I can remember. I play the flute, piano, and just recently picked up guitar. I also sing in the choir at my school. While music has always been a wonderful part of my life, I know that I don’t have the skill to pursue it professionally and I would like a career with more stability. Recently when I applied to college I settled on becoming a computer science major. Now my parents feel like I’m wasting time making music because it’s not something that I am going to be mainly relying on for income. While I see their point, this is not something I’m willing to just completely drop. When I go off to college I know I won’t have the same time to dedicate to it as I do know, especially if I am focused on a career and a future. But I don’t want to let go completely, it’s always been a love of mine and I can’t imagine myself without it. Any advice on how to keep making music? Is it really that much of a waste? Any other opinions? Thanks guys

Has anyone told you that you don't have the skill? There is income in music, not a windfall, but it depends on what aspect(s) of the business that interest you.

its up to you. I spent many years penniless so that i could do music as a full time hobby...I work part time doing hard physical work which i think helps to balance spending too much time in the studio. I have never done any music work that was for the corporate world and always made stuff for me, to give away for no money. being poor is hard but being time rich and not doing soulless music projects is awesome

! If you are willing to put the hours in to teach yourself and never stop learning, share your sounds with others in your life and through soundcloud...and don't give up you will get a lot out of music. Who cares what your parents think? In the 20+ years Ive been making music I am doing my best work ever, the [affordable} technology is so vastly improved that all you really need is a laptop {mine was sub $200}and some good headphones [audio technica ath m50} plus willpower, reading lots of manuals, a few youtube tutorials and you can make something to a very high standard with practice: skill doesnt come naturally to everyone but You can still learn to be an expert.

Computer science could be very useful and lucrative long term but may well lead to some very boring jobs where you wish you were outside, or sat at home doing music all day and living on very little. So learn to cook, grow food, grass, find a skill that can travel with you and good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Never let it go. The opportunity comes at some point and usually in a non-predictable way. In the meantime, pursue your career and be stable so that when the chance comes to jump back into it, you're ready and flexible.

It requires some flexibility because maybe you like studio production now but the opportunity might be DJing 10 years from now, so you have to keep learning whatever peaks your interest. Keep studying / practicing your instrument and maybe an opportunity to back an artist up comes up. You never know. Stay ahead of the curve.

Get your career going, study hard, but make studying be something that music becomes the reward during your down time. It's also ok to let music go for a few years because you can jump back in if the foundation is strong. Use your free time to make music even if it's mashing up some loops when you're bored or need an emotional break from school.

Don't let go of useful hobbies. Sure, studying might eat up more of your time, but in your life you need to have things you love. Sports, music, going out with friends. These will make you into a more well-rounded person as well, this will help you later in your career. The guys/girls that make it are not the ones who were best in school, but who have developed themselves are personalities with their own passions and ideas. Doing music will help you to do that, and it might also give you an emotional outlet. So many guys are playing computer games which in my opinion is just useless (used to do it myself as well), while if you are making music - come on, you have output! songs, tracks to share, discussions to have online / offline, something to give you pride and a challenge, and some variety!

I am currently a senior in high school and I’ve been in music for as long as I can remember. I play the flute, piano, and just recently picked up guitar. I free netflix tech news also sing in the choir at my school. While music has always been a wonderful part of my life, I know that I don’t have the skill to pursue it professionally and I would like a career with more stability. Recently when I applied to college I settled on becoming a computer science major. Now my parents feel like I’m wasting time making music because it’s not something that I am going to be mainly relying on for income. While I see their point, this is not something I’m willing to just completely drop. When I go off to college I know I won’t have the same time to dedicate to it as I do know, especially if I am focused on a career and a future. But I don’t want to let go completely, it’s always been a love of mine and I can’t imagine myself without it. Any advice on how to keep making music? Is it really that much of a waste? Any other opinions? Thanks guys

Any Updates????

Bro if you wanna do something, DO IT! Life's too short. Check and make sure you're not doing something just to please other people. I was in your situtation, wanted to study music, and people said I needed a "stable" career, so I studied business. I hated it and ever since have been working on music while doing jobs that my heart is not in, just to get by. I wish I would have just gone directly to my goal. But that's just my experience. You live and learn. There is a lot of money in music but you need patience to see things come together... even if you're not a successful artist.. there's audio engineering, mastering, music videos, business side.. Live your life man! Do what you feel is right.

Last edited:
Back