Adding elements to fill a track.

Daniel Carroll

I have no problem making a nice melody with chords. But I get stuck making arps and effects to fill up the background. You know the way some producers have big reverby snares and synth shots in the break that sound great? I can never get them to fit in my song even if I have them in key. I don't like having too much going on at once (pads/chords/synths/fx) but I feel if I don't have all these my track will be boring. Anyone have any tricks for making break melodies cohesive to drop melodies. Making them fot like a glove?

I have no problem making a nice melody with chords. But I get stuck making arps and effects to fill up the background. You know the way some producers have big reverby snares and synth shots in the break that sound great? I can never get them to fit in my song even if I have them in key. I don't like having too much going on at once (pads/chords/synths/fx) but I feel if I don't have all these my track will be boring. Anyone have any tricks for making break melodies cohesive to drop melodies. Making them fot like a glove?

I know lots of productions out there that are annoyingly busy. But these producers follow the practice better safe than sorry, which is overall a smart producer move. So, sure you probably lack beautiful stuff to fill your mixes. You can do it in many ways, but I think it pays off to think in terms of contraction and release, not only about your use of musical elements in the mix, but also in terms of all of your engineering moves, your gear etc. It's one thing to to be very well aware of how to create beautiful big clear powerful and loud sounding productions, but teasing the listener with it in a very attractive way is what makes your production glide past everyone else. So, use those jittery digital clocks out there, but have some really pure clock in there too, let the drums slam a little and create density, but let it smash into light crystal clear drumming too. Let the vocals scream a little at times, but make them gentle and sweet when nobody expects that. It can be small things like turning up the volume on specific drum hits and turning down the volume on specific drum hits. It does not have to be licks and effects always, very simple automation moves can do really powerful stuff. Now, in certain genres such as EDM, you can do simple automation moves like moving the lo pass point up and down on various elements. And pan automation. Listeners love it when the stereo image keeps improving throughout the song. I mean just the stereo image you could make into a whole science in terms of production. So, the important thing is to be creative, play with contraction and release and keep finding new ways of excelling at that. That's what is going to give you a signature vibe. Here is a secret. I use software to create contraction. I use hardware to create release. You can do the same and more. It's simple once you get it. BTW. A heavy ITB software based mix is in my world a production with a heavy contraction and no release. If you have no hardware, why not gradually automate off those plugins from your mix. When the phase clears up, it is sweet. A phase issue, can be your best friend. Many think that you need to be very obvious with the wetness on these and sometimes you do, but it is also an art to do it such that it is added or removed at specific playback volumes. That's the real art... When you have a mix that keeps changing depending on how you listen to it and keeps evolving in different ways like this throughout the course of the song, that's what excites the listener. You have to stay focused on the total number of plays you are going for. Be obvious about that. Obviously if you are using several different setups throughout the course of the song and work with these in ways that is absolutely mind blowing, then you'll have lots of plays I can guarantee. You hook them first, then you play with them, then you start teasing them and then you release them beyond their wildest expectations. Now they listen again, but this time they turn up the volume and bam, a whole set of new qualities show up they did not notice on the first play. Now they have already started a repeat play listening behavior. The art is then to make that long term.

So, the bottom line is not to get stuck on exactly what type of excitement to add or remove, but rather to focus on tension/contraction and release.

Last edited:
I second the call and response and automation suggestions. You don't need to have all things playing at the same time or the same space.

when you guys say "focus on tension/contraction and release" or "call and response", what exactly does that mean in terms of arrangement and adding/removing things?

Im not sure if thats a dumb question or not but I've really been racking my brain on this particular subject.

Any help is appreciated.

when you guys say "focus on tension/contraction and release" or "call and response", what exactly does that mean in terms of arrangement and adding/removing things?

Im not sure if thats a dumb question or not but I've really been racking my brain on this particular subject.

Any help is appreciated.

Not a dumb question at all.

Call & response is just how it sounds; one sound/melody acts as a call while another responds.

Here is one example of how that might look:

The piano melody is the "call" and the stringed instrument that I don't remember the name of is the "response". The pad and the reversed sample can also be seen as a call and response. It doesn't have to be that simple or that long. What is important is that they aren't playing at the same time. It adds a bit of variety & contrast to a fairly simple production while also keeping two instruments playing the same melody from clashing and become a single, indistinct sound in the mix.

Tension vs. release can be a lot of things. For instance going from a minimal amount of instrumentation in a verse to a large sounding chorus and then back to a simple verse, changing from an aggressive or eerie chord to something more relaxing, etc.

Last edited:
I know lots of productions out there that are annoyingly busy. But these producers follow the practice better safe than sorry, which is overall a smart producer move. So, sure you probably lack beautiful stuff to fill your mixes. You can do it in many ways, but I think it pays off to think in terms of contraction and release, not only about your use of musical elements in the mix, but also in terms of all of your engineering moves, your gear etc. It's one thing to to be very well aware of how to create beautiful big clear powerful and loud sounding productions, but teasing the listener with it in a very attractive way is what makes your production glide past everyone else. So, use those jittery digital clocks out there, but have some really pure clock in there too, let the drums slam a little and create density, but let it smash into light crystal clear drumming too. Let the vocals scream a little at times, but make them gentle and sweet when nobody expects that. It can be small things like turning up the volume on specific drum hits and turning down the volume on specific drum hits. It does not have to be licks and effects always, very simple automation moves can do really powerful stuff. Now, in certain genres such as EDM, you can do simple automation moves like moving the lo pass point up and down on various elements. And pan automation. Listeners love it when the stereo image keeps improving throughout the song. I mean just the stereo image you could make into a whole science in terms of production. So, the important thing is to be creative, play with contraction and release and keep finding new ways of excelling at that. That's what is going to give you a signature vibe. Here is a secret. I use software to create contraction. I use hardware to create release. You can do the same and more. It's simple once you get it. BTW. A heavy ITB software based mix is in my world a production with a heavy contraction and no release. If you have no hardware, why not gradually automate off those plugins from your mix. When the phase clears up, it is sweet. A phase issue, can be your best friend. Many think that you need to be very obvious with the wetness on these and sometimes you do, but it is also an art to do it such that it is added or removed at specific playback volumes. That's the real art... When you have a mix that keeps changing depending on how you listen to it and keeps evolving in different ways like this throughout the course of the song, that's what excites the listener. You have to stay focused on the total number of plays you are going for. Be obvious about that. Obviously if you are using several different setups throughout the course of the song and work with these in ways that is absolutely mind blowing, then you'll have lots of plays I can guarantee. You hook them first, then you play with them, then you start teasing them and then you release them beyond their wildest expectations. Now they listen again, but this time they turn up the volume and bam, a whole set of new qualities show up they did not notice on the first play. Now they have already started a repeat play listening behavior. The art is then to make that long term.

So, the bottom line is not to get stuck on exactly what type of excitement to add or remove, but rather to focus on tension/contraction and release.

What the hell does any of this mean? For someone who said a lot you didn't really say anything. Going on about hardware and automation curves, do you yourself know what you're saying? I couldn't make heads or tails out of any of it. I appreciate the fact you're trying to help but you're not making a lot of sense mate.

Back