808 Distortion

NYJ

What distortion plugins do the pros use for 808's?

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

Damn nobody knows

just get a multiband distortion bro. It's not really a "special" distortion because they all kinda sound the same lol

Distortion plugins play only a part of the sound processing for 808 kicks, you gotta worry about compression, Multiband Eq, a bunch of stuff.. For you to learn about these things, you just gotta research how that stuff works. Im no 808 pro at all, but there are tutorials out there for sure

I like to slightly overdrive a tape machine, the whole idea is to produce overtones so that people with shitty speakers can actually hear something, like if I hook my TR-808 up to a shitty sound system directly and tune my bass drum from high to low (I have an external tuning mod) you will hear a peak in volume then it will drop back down then oscillation followed by nothing, the same shit applies to those of you using a synth sub bass instead of pre-processed 808 samples like Tape 808, while monitoring without a decent sub you are not going to get an accurate representation of the bottom end without adding harmonics.

I like to slightly overdrive a tape machine, the whole idea is to produce overtones so that people with shitty speakers can actually hear something, like if I hook my TR-808 up to a shitty sound system directly and tune my bass drum from high to low (I have an external tuning mod) you will hear a peak in volume then it will drop back down then oscillation followed by nothing, the same shit applies to those of you using a synth sub bass instead of pre-processed 808 samples like Tape 808, while monitoring without a decent sub you are not going to get an accurate representation of the bottom end without adding harmonics.
how do you slightly overdrive a tape machine?

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

I'm gonna have to try 'Tape Simulator Plugin' , I usually use FL's 'Fruity Dist Plugin'.

Fruity Dist Plugin is not the sound i want for some reason

Back