48Khz Really vital?

JUANJOLENNON

48Khz Really vital ?
Hi¡

I have a Pulsar card a Yamaha 02r , Yamaha A4000 Vitalizer mk-2T , Aural Exiter , TL Audio VP5051 Behringer UltraDyne ...
I usually work with 44'1k in my system because the sample CDs have this frequency and is annoying to change samplig freq everytime i want to use it.

I heard sampler and keyboards havn't the halo of acustics instruments (early reflections and other) but when i play Garbage CD (very electric) i feel the good sense i don't obtain.

I want to perfect my works and i want to bring to comercial CD sound .
Everytime i'm sure i make a good job (mix and mastering) i compare and .........grrrrrrrrrrr:(

Last edited:
I work in 44.1Khz... BUT i know a lot of people are starting to work in 96Khz now

If you dotn want to use 44, i'd jump directly to 96Khz

CDs ARE 44.1Khz, but the people who master the tracks on those CDs you listen to, probably have racks and racks full of harmonizers, exciters, kickass compressors and other vintage-ing modules

If you are intending your finnished product to be CD then you should mix to 44k1. 48k used to be for devices whose anlogue to digital converters were less than perfect. These were not able to produce a good enough filter to avoid "ringing" in the analogue output.

48k will theoreticaly give you a better quality , but if you have to convert this to 44k1 the mathematical relation ship between the two will mean that samples will be dropped. Between 48k and 32k this downsampling occurs in a mathematical relationship and the results contain little distortion of the origional signal other than the loss of frequency. But this is not the case for the difference between 44k1 and 48k.

As for working at 96k , the difference is only audible if you have the system to hear it. More important is working at 24bit and 32bit . This gives you much more headroom and therefore resolution at low level signals. The conversion between 24bit and 16bit is acheived well with many of the plugins available. At a mastering house , if dealing with odd sampling rates/bit depths ... they will convert from the digital domain to the analogue and then back. They have good quality converters and this is the important step. If you do not have good converters the most degradation to the signal will will occurr during the conversion from analogue to digital , and visa versa.

T h a n k s R o b i n !!

I will start to use the 02r converters , maybe 24bit Pulsar's converters are worse than 16bit Yamaha's.
your oppinion?
I will use 24bit in Logic (actually is on 16bit mode)
I would like to know if i can to obtain real profesional sound with this set.
:)

Last edited:
24 bit starts to matter on bass frequencies. 24 bit will give a fuller warmer sound on these. You may want to use your Pulsar to record such sounds.

It is of no use to use 24 bit in Logic if you are not converting at 24 bit.

How is your signal path set up ?

The O2Rs Eq is very precise , and if you are wanting knotch out certain frequencies then this is usefull. However it isn't very musical to the ear. Analogue EQ introduces phase distortion into the signal by the nature of its design , and the better EQ makers ( John Oram , Rupert Neve and George Massenburg to name a few ) have made an art out of this science.

Your Pulsar card probably has plugins that emulate analogue EQ or its own inbuilt EQ may be so modelled.

Back