440 Hz causes anxiety and confusion?

You're right about the timeshifting thing. I just remember playing around with the pitch knobs on one of my beats a while ago and it did sound like it was affecting the time as well as the pitch, but whatever.

Anyways, now for my experiment...

I've been kinda curious to hear people's reactions to this whole A432 tuning, but everytime I see people comparing the two together they always know which track has been re-tuned and which one hasn't and I feel like that may cause the listener's opinion to be slightly biased. I've uploaded two tracks I've made (very old tracks and really low quality), one is tuned to A432 and the other one is not but I haven't labeled which is which. All you have to do is pick whichever one you think is tuned to A432 and maybe compare how each one sound to you. The whole purpose of this experiment is to examine if people can really tell if a song has been re-tuned or not and to hear what effect is has on you guys. I also wanted to try it on guys who have some musical background.
Again, these tracks are really low quality but that shouldn't affect the results.

#12 much warmer tho...
#17 screeching...
Horrible test btw...
The mix isnt good at all....
+ 2 diff arrangements... I dont have Prefect pitch lol.

Last edited:
ahh you took the sounds down I was excited to test it....lol

I think that certain compositions and historical operas etc should be pitched to the standard that those people's ended up finding most pleasurable....but also it should take into account the human voice.....I think maybe that the human voice is the real standard...so like the pitch shouldn't be too high that a human voice is really labouring to sing it....i think in all purposes 432 and 440 are pretty much similar..I mean thoughout history the standard seems to have gone from a low of 422 for Mozart etc....to 450 hz at other points..

I think that the preferable pitch is also dependent on the specific human ear that's hearing it...like some people might prefer a slightly lower or slightly higher......even an entire genetic group or race/culture of people might be more proned to liking a few hertz difference than another....I think that the standard pitch should be an elastic thing...and it's only needed because of the industry of music in modern times.....

http://www.wam.hr/sadrzaj/us/Cavanagh_440Hz.pdf

Last edited:
ahh you took the sounds down I was excited to test it....lol

I think that certain compositions and historical operas etc should be pitched to the standard that those people's ended up finding most pleasurable....but also it should take into account the human voice.....I think maybe that the human voice is the real standard...so like the pitch shouldn't be too high that a human voice is really labouring to sing it....i think in all purposes 432 and 440 are pretty much similar..I mean thoughout history the standard seems to have gone from a low of 422 for Mozart etc....to 450 hz at other points..

I think that the preferable pitch is also dependent on the specific human ear that's hearing it...like some people might prefer a slightly lower or slightly higher......even an entire genetic group or race/culture of people might be more proned to liking a few hertz difference than another....I think that the standard pitch should be an elastic thing...and it's only needed because of the industry of music in modern times.....

http://www.wam.hr/sadrzaj/us/Cavanagh_440Hz.pdf

Click the links under the Player. Their still up ppl Check it out...

Tuning music down music down 8 cents sound much better due to its lower frequency of course... You'll always get a warmer sound and it not far from standard. + you stay in tune... Someone with perfect pitch could instantly tell the difference... Sticking to standard is cool and sheeit but a warmer sound is better....

Where are you getting this from? I'm not sure if we are on the same page of what warmth is. I guarantee that warmth is not achieved by just pitching your song 8 cents...

And for the record, the average adult can only perceive changes of about 25 cents.

#12 much warmer tho...
#17 screeching...
Horrible test btw...
The mix isnt good at all....
+ 2 diff arrangements... I dont have Prefect pitch lol.

Again, I made these beats a while ago. Long before I knew how to mix. Trust me, I didn't make the mix worse on only one of them because that would screw with the results. Anyways, I'm positive most of us don't have perfect pitch. I know I don't. But the point of this was to determine if this whole 432 Hz tuning fad really does sound better to most people or if they're just saying that as a marketing technique. That's exactly why I left them anonymous. If tuning all your music to 432 Hz really does make everybody "happier" or whatever and all these scientific claims are supposedly true, then I don't think you should need perfect pitch to tell that one track sound better than the other.

Last edited:
Not to be rude or anything by not responding to your comments but......

I believe this pertain towards what we are talking about.

This is Bernie Worrell, keyboardist for Parliament Funkadelic.

Lecture: Bernie Worrell (New York 2013) on Vimeo

Check out the Vid.

Hes like... The father of modern music...

Big statement, but I Believe so.

Lots of people do not really know who he is; which is very weird...

Every sound your using now im pretty sure he created it already created it.... Analog too..... lol jk. His sounds is unreal tho, Like.... I believe the 70s did it..

He had to have been fried making those....

He had fun man...

This Lecture is a much different type of interview but everything he saying within the first 20 mins is how I feel about music...

What hes saying pretty is much how I would leave or change this conversation due to the hot heads(lol). Me personally would love to work with anyone in music; I dont discriminate any way of listening. If anything, most creators would love to figure out what you "hear/see"(doesn't matter) and tune to your liking, also taking influence. That is the beauty of music right? Its how people come together :)

Back on the Interview... Although Bernie very monotonous and dull, if you listen to his work throughout the interview you would be like "wow..." forreal.

The Interviewer is also a dbag........

What he was playing kinda shows you where Bernie comes from as far as "his way of music."

I believe this is how everyone should feel about music and I def dont blame Bernie for feeling that way. Dont you? Instead of Propogating this 432 and 400Hz

I would love for people to listen to the test and see the results; despite of how anyone feels.

It's cool to know what you like to hear...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all good. I'll definitely check out that link tomorrow when I know I'll be awake for 2 hrs.

I know, but we have trod the path of 12tet and 432Hz vs 440Hz before and we had reached a similar point in the conversation yet again

the problem with these debates is that for the most part we are arguing with people who want to believe that Hitler did something silly (put a base on the moon to allow for future invasion of the earth) and see 440Hz as part of that plot. they are not convinced by research or scientific refutation of their "facts" and so instead seek to further the debate with other nonsense.

arguing 12tet vs the various forms of just intonation (JI) is an actual scientific debate.

There are serious issues that arise with trying to deal with integer harmonics (the basis of all music and mostly treated better in JI) vs expected pitch within 12tet - for the most part it is these clashes at the higher end of the harmonic spectrum for each instrumental sound and note that cause the grating sense of wrongness in 12tet. I have discussed this issue at length in other threads trying to explain the scratchiness/jarringness of some chordal arrangements in certain sound combinations

I know, but we have trod the path of 12tet and 432Hz vs 440Hz before and we had reached a similar point in the conversation yet again

the problem with these debates is that for the most part we are arguing with people who want to believe that Hitler did something silly (put a base on the moon to allow for future invasion of the earth) and see 440Hz as part of that plot. they are not convinced by research or scientific refutation of their "facts" and so instead seek to further the debate with other nonsense.

arguing 12tet vs the various forms of just intonation (JI) is an actual scientific debate.

There are serious issues that arise with trying to deal with integer harmonics (the basis of all music and mostly treated better in JI) vs expected pitch within 12tet - for the most part it is these clashes at the higher end of the harmonic spectrum for each instrumental sound and note that cause the grating sense of wrongness in 12tet. I have discussed this issue at length in other threads trying to explain the scratchiness/jarringness of some chordal arrangements in certain sound combinations

Lol! I feel ya man haha.

but ahh "Intonation." Saw and heard the word alot but never kept it in my head lol..

I see now...

Man you always got the info my dude! The only thing I dont like is ya spilling the all chords and melodies to the kids.....

I see it as educating:

along the way they will eventually ask how to do it and then i hit them with the true secret - ear training and application, something that anyone (except those with a hearing impairment) can do with enough practice

I see it as educating:

along the way they will eventually ask how to do it and then i hit them with the true secret - ear training and application, something that anyone (except those with a hearing impairment) can do with enough practice

Boom. Itz the only way...

Take notes kids.

Last edited:
I see it as educating:

There's a legit business plan in there somewhere.

There's a legit business plan in there somewhere.

Seriously... Teamviewer 9 and a good webcam you're good to go. Private lessons haha...

I'd recommend using it for collabs via internet btw ... Might be hard if you dont know how to work audio.

Last edited:
That is some brilliant marketing right there, i guarantee every conspiracy theorist/hippy will switch over without doing any critical thinking.

Back