$10000 for a Neuman!?!?!

pionear2k

I was doing some price work for Mics, and I see that Neumans (the industry standard) cost BTW $5000-$10000 dollars!

Do they really make ur vocals that damn good? Considering the stuff i hear on the Radio, i guess they do...

nuemann is very good in their top models (U87, U89, TLM170, KM184), and not that expensive. But you got a hole leap of better or equal mics who cost way less, like the mics of Microtech Gefell, Soundelux, Peluso, Brauner, Pearlman, ...

it's the hype that makes them that expensive. They claim to be the actual edition of the old legendaric telefunken audio firm, but microtech gefell can claim just the same, cause they are founded in the east german department of telefunken (of wich neumann is the westgerman part) and even make better mic's in my opinion.

Telefunken made the legendaric U47, of wich at least half of the large diagram condensor mics now made are based.
Original U47's are probally the most soaght mics in the buisness, and probally also the most expensive.

I have a Nuemann TLM103 you can find it for between 700-1000 bucks. Its a very good mic...hype or not. I suggest getting one for vocals.

I can tell you this: people don't pay $5k-$10k for a crappy sound. There is a certain amount of reputation in the price, but they must be awesome to have earned and hold up that reputation. When paired with a comparable preamp, I'm sure they sound like their pricetag.

You get what you pay for.

it's the hype that makes them that expensive. They claim to be the actual edition of the old legendaric telefunken audio firm, but microtech gefell can claim just the same, cause they are founded in the east german department of telefunken (of wich neumann is the westgerman part) and even make better mic's in my opinion.
[/B]

Ha! Finally somebody who also appreciates the bad ole gefell. I reckon their mics are way underrated - is it cos they're from the east? - anywayz we're happy users of the UMT70S for 15 years now. It's almost annoyingly clean and accurate. Due to the fact it has virtually no personality of its own either the preamp or better the singer needs a lot of it... :D

easy
B#

gefell mics are the real neumann now ... or at least the closest to that legendary sound ... sennheiser bought the neumann name ages ago

Back