808 mixing

danijelcro

I've noticed if any other instrument comes in region of 100-200hz where 808 harmonics are we have a clashing problem and 808 just can't stand out in mix. I've also set my HPF for kick at 80-100hz (to bring that punch) so that it wont clash with that 808 sub frequencies. Also I boosted 808 at 50-60hz and at the same place I cut kick. The kick i boosted punch area around 120-140hz and there I cut my 808. Also I've sidechained kick to 808 so everytime kick hits 808 is ducking.

Tell me some of your ideas and some advice for mixing 808 with other things beside kick.

Thank you.

There's no set route or way t go about doing things but there is such thing as signal flow.
Experiment with various plugins & effect chains until you come across a suitable method as each sound is different and would need to be adjusted to accordingly.

With that being said, I like synthesizing those for a very raw signal.

yeah, I really don't have a set way I go about mixing 808s. It is definitely about preference. Personally, I don't duck my 808s because I normally use 808s that don't have prominent transients. If you have fl studio, using the trim and out knobs on the sample channel window, helps a lot with getting 808's cleaner , and punch through the mix better.

I've noticed if any other instrument comes in region of 100-200hz where 808 harmonics are we have a clashing problem and 808 just can't stand out in mix. I've also set my HPF for kick at 80-100hz (to bring that punch) so that it wont clash with that 808 sub frequencies. Also I boosted 808 at 50-60hz and at the same place I cut kick. The kick i boosted punch area around 120-140hz and there I cut my 808. Also I've sidechained kick to 808 so everytime kick hits 808 is ducking. Tell me some of your ideas and some advice for mixing 808 with other things beside kick.

If you want your 808 to stand out, then you have to duck the bass when ever it hits. You can use sidechaining, but you'll still get overlap due to latency and the long tail of the 808. Two ways to deal:
1) Simplify your mix. Make it as minimal as possible. If you can't do this, then...
2) Manually, drop out the conflicting bass freqs by automating your volume levels - for each 808 hit. This is time consuming and annoying, but that's how most producers deal

Back