YouTube covers without sync licence ?

SunsetMan

Hello,

I may eventually upload a recording of myself singing a cover song. I believe to do this I need a mechanical licence for actually using the song as an audio file and a synch licence which allows me to display video being synchronized with the audio file (or cover song).

My question is, if my video won't contain any images, (Just a black screen) do I still need the sync licence?

Thanks for all feedback
SSM

Tbh, this is a giant grey area. There are even situations where with a sync and mec license, you won't be allowed to post an original with you singing over it anyway.
I discussed this with the copyright fellas from youtube and they stay vague to a certain matter as well.
There are tons of lads that post youtubes of themselves, playing saxophone, over an original or cover of a song. Which both, are ilegal, without the right permissions and licensing. I've asked youtube if that was allowed, and they actually don't answer that exact question. They tell you that they might be allowed to by the original owner. Which, in some cases is almost impossible with 3 different owners and one being a major record company.
Like this dude:

Also, tons of these lads out there that do the same. Most of em have no permission or license. As far as I've deducted. It's impossible to get it all licensed if you upload several a week and have little views. Justin is popular and get's enough views, but there's a ton of ppl out there that get almost no views and still post tons.
I asked because I want to do the same.
He plays the original track himself on the piano, puts some other stuff to it so it resembles the original. Still not alowed officially.
If you look at the info, he names the original artist, also no guarantee that it then is allowed.
With people not wanting to answer and give the exact information, it comes down to a lot of things.
What it all comes down to:
- You can ask for the correct licensing and permissions. Big chance a lot of the owners of the songs you want to cover don't react.
- You can correctly name original artist in your video info part.
- You can hope for the best and accept the risks. There's a chance the original owner never finds out, there's a chance no one will report your youtube, there's a good chance the original owner will just let you go your way with what your doing as your not posing any threat to their piece of commerce and only helping it in getting their music out there. You do risk getting your youtube taken down and even risk getting your youtube channel disabled. Something that seems a last resort, as you can see with how many of these youtube channels exist that do the exact same and have uploaded tons of those cover youtubes. Charlez even has the exact original track playing at some of his covers.
Here you can clearly hear that beyonce is still singing the original and that it's not a cover that he's singing over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK6I54R4wtA (be prepared to listen to a major crap recording, and slightly better play (hard to hear with this crappy recording))

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC55tP-RnBu2I31VtVCJW8EQ

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS-esHKH6wsgxZyg2nsndMg

Those pants, lol!

Two examples of youtube channels that do the same. There's tons of em, with a lot of em being crappy at what they do.
Anyway, that's how far I got with getting information.
So far, what I'm gonna do, is the exact same as those fellas (naming original artist, no commercial banners or "purposes" (purposes being bs because these lads definitely want to use this to get themselves out there)). Just forget about getting the correct licenses and you'll notice when you get a warning. Big chance that you won't get one if you're doing the exact same as those guys.
There are some things that could help. Naming the original artist, not having commercial profit from banners on your youtube channel and stating that.
This is what I were able to find out. If any of you has different information or know for sure on how these guys go about putting those youtubes online, let us know.

Last edited:
Hi B Side Producer,

"Tbh, this is a giant grey area. There are even situations where with a sync and mec license, you won't be allowed to post an original with you singing over it anyway."

Are you sure about this! Because from what I understand, I have been reading over and over that mec licensing allows you to play the cover song and is relatively cheap and can be purchased by services like limelight or cd baby.... however the sync licence is the doozy in terms of $$$ and is only required if you have video.... bof!! A little confused now. ?

What about not monetizing the video and allowing YouTube to add publicity (commercial) before the video, so this way the money from the advertisement is shared between YouTube and the artist/publisher and everyone's happy!!! No?

Also I was just wondering, youtube gives a warning before they take down your account ... i believe they have a 3 strikes and your out policy .... so perhaps it's worth a try.... just don't know if I want to risk it though...

aaaaaaanyways it's too bad I really would of loved to post 1 or 2 covers along with my original songs .... but I don't want to break any laws so I will eventually just post my own songs and stay legit!

thanks for your time and thanks for replying

Last edited:
I assume you read the wiki page for mec license?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_license
maybe the compulsory license
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_license

I can't imagine those guys, and tons of all those people on youtube, all have gathered mec licenses AND synch licenses. In a lot of cases you can't even get a response of the owners when you wanna cover a song by Beyonce, Rihanna or any of those big stars.
In that case, you can get that through agencies like
HFA
Get a Mechanical License for Cover Songs
https://songclearance.com/clearance
That will deal with covers.

That won't deal with what charlez did on beyonce which sounds like a center cancel to me that filtered out most of the vocals.

Also, there's some issues that are discussed in this article that explain how your song still can be taken down, even if you do have a mec license.

Posting Cover Songs on YouTube Legally - Music Licensing Law Explained DIY Musician Blog

If you read the piece, you can actually see that in some cases, it is quite hard to post a youtube of yourself performing a cover song, playing an instrument or singing, with the song playing on the background (self performed/covered or not).
How do all those cover musicians (those tons of musicians that have their own youtube channel that holds lots of youtubes of them performing their cover version(s)) get to legally put online all those videos? Well, as far as I've deducted, not all of em do and probably a lot of them post songs that publishers have an agreement with youtube on. Some youtube artists, just work out some of the legislation and hope for the best on the rest. Although, that is what I think, as none of those 'youtube artists' actually answered my e-mails :p Which, I think, kind of confirms to me the fact that they're operating a part in a grey area.

Read the article , it's all in there on how to legally do this. Up to a certain part with limitations. Easiest way is to do it with songs of publishers that have a license agreement with youtube.
http://www.harryfox.com/license_music/youtube_license.html

Sorry if my informations seems disorganised at parts where I'm contradicting, I'm finding out new stuff out now myself as well as I've just recently found that article :D Hope i editted out all the contradictions :D

Last edited:
No need to apologize my good freind....
There is nothing wrong with your post.

I enjoyed your replies!!!

???

Last edited:
Back