Your way of Breaking down new Sheet Music?

A

Alb-D

I wanna know how do some of you breakdown sheetmusic? for the first time.

ME it takes about 3 days to a week to acutally get it down.. right.. I wish i could learn it faster.. but I have classes and studio work.

Whats your method?

i try to figure out the underlying chord progressions and stuff so its easier to understand whats going on.

break it up in sections and practice the crap out of them.

taking frequent breaks to alleviate frustration often helps.

I analyze the chord progression first. I'm familiar with some common progressions, so, if I can break it down to I, vi, ii, V, I in E for example, I'm in good shape.

If the chords are spelled out, I'll take note of the inversions next. Most of the time, the voice leading is very common sense, so I'm looking for anomolies... big jumps, ect.

Next, I'll take note of the rhythm. Most of the time, the rhythm is repetative within each section... chorus, bridge, ect. So this tends to be the easiest part.

Lastly, I analyze the melody. I'm checking to see if the melody sticks to a particular scale, a combination of scales, ect.

Prior experience gets me through most of a tune, depending on how complex it is, so I concentrate on the things I haven't seen before.

Back