writers block...grrr... how does everybody find motivation?

dek-star

Hey gang,
I was just wondering what techniques you guys use to get ideas down? I've been
in a rut for a couple weeks. I try to come up with something, but i feel like i'm forcing myself, but i'm also afraid i'm out of steam. has any of yall been through this type of writersblock? any good techniques to get back on track? Thanks yall
peace.
dek::star :hello:

back away from it.forget about it for now clear your mind it' will come that's what i do walk away try not to dwell on it so much.:cheers:

I find that working with someone else normally works, as it's easy to overcome blocks if you've got someone to bounce ideas off of.

Force yourself to do something connected but not actually making a tune. Learn some theory, work out another tune/technique from a record, try and dig a bit deeper into one of your pieces of kit (i.e. read the manual). I usually find that helps .... especially working out other peoples stuff, but then I'm a plagiarist.

KasioRoks

One thing i do is try to make new and different versions of the same track/idea i've got stuck on.

I usually do this as a rule now anyway;

Work on a new idea, make a whole different version (usually a harder version), and then try to make a smoother version and then fuze all three ideas together and what come's out is usually what i end up sticking with.

Works for me.

the best thing to do is walk away for a day or two. while your doing other things ideas will come to ya.

and cancel cable tv... that helps too.

chronos

I start by thinking of no more music producing, I begin working with Flash and Photoshop, and after a few days, I can't sleep anymore 'cause I'm plenty of ideas !!

Good luck !! :cheers:

Yeah, I just started messing round with photoshop too, it rocks (not sure about flash - spent too long on the wrong end of a modem waiting for some eedjit's idea of a 'cool' animation, anyway....) but nothing touches the buzz of making music. Honestly I can't imagine not making music (I can't really remember not playing). Got a gig tonight which will be a great laugh and that band is getting some serious industry interest. Gotta get their website sorted so that if they get signed I get some $$.

KasioRoks

thanks for the replies. i've been listening to alot more music these past weeks, trying to study all the different things that go on in a track. i think i'm gonna concentrate on creating more samples/loops in the meantime. hopefully i'll get some ideas by doing that ya know? i'll let you guys know what happens.

there are two things that work for me. 1st like the others said walk away for now and it will most likely come back suddenly when you take a good crap. 2nd keep writing whatever comes to mind at that time of disappointment and use that as an index to look back into for quick bars or maybe even crazy skits. that way you never really have writers block.:hello:

its a good idea not to listen to other music for a while! this should help you create a new sound! it works for me, when i listen to my work after listening to a cd or watching tv, it tends to sound the same! but if u clear your mind, and focus on what your thinking about, the outcome should be pleasing, not to mention very different thatn whats on the market!:cheers:

Just what you done was the best thing! concentrate on taking samples! that always helps, cos you dont have to concentrate on a whole damn track and you can build up your percussive artilery to stomp you through the next writers block attack!! A new toy always helps cure things also.

dafluxtah

Originally posted by akuma
smoke a blunt
LOL Me and my production partner tried this the other day. We couldn't do anything, it took half an hour to map out samples in my sampler (normally takes me 2 minutes). After 2 hours of laughing at each other we gave up. When we listened back to what we'd done 2 days later our beats were ... well they were OK, but there was no variation at all, 3 minutes of the same beat!! Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks I guess.

KasioRoks

KasioRoks right. if u smoke like i do u'd need an engineer in. i can't do anything technical when i'm lean. like i'll play some real soulful stuff on a keyboard, then realise i didn't record any of it. :p
Personally when i'm creatively blocked I stop making music, but keep listening to music on radio or whatever.
I find that when you hear songs you haven't heard before they spark my creativity, listening to beats you've already heard just puts your ideas in a loop, like creative deja vu or something.
Just try not to copy anything, just use ideas.

what's up yall? yea, i've been laying off the beats and spending time elsehwhere. not to mention too much of it here. : ) anyway i've been collecting/listening to a lot of old school jazz, and it's been kind of fun. i checked out some herbie hancock, marc moulin, etc... man those guys were ahead of their time. the music sounds eerily modern, know what i'm saying? but i havent' gone the route of the ganja. last time i did that, i started drawing pictures with midi notes on my sequencer's piano roll. anyway, i hope other folks who're in the same boat as me found some relief from everyone's posts. thanks!

Have you tried giving up? Sell all your musical equipment.... maybe take up golf.... Never think about music again.

:p

I was in the writers block big time for about 1 year and it was driving me mad! Iv only found out now that it lasted so long because I was putting to much presure on myself, you have got to find it fun and enjoyable to produce music. Try just jaming with sounds live without recording anythink and take a break untill you get the urge to start playing and recording again.
While taking a break go through all your best CDs and inspire yourself.

Hope this helps:)

IT's LIKE THIS!

I am In A "block period" right now!

But not to worry..!
If you get a dopebeat from sombody else than yoself it will relese yo brain and you will not be able to stop writing!!!!

Good Luck!

by the way anybody wanna collab?

Back