Why post on YouTube??

Prosthetic

The One-Armed Bastard
So I'm in the process of trying to build my producing business just like the rest of us are. I keep getting recommendations from friends and fellow producers to post my beats on YouTube. Yes I understand that its one of the biggest websites in the world next to Google and Facebook, but I'm still iffy. To me it seems like by posting beats on there you are just asking to get jipped. I can name like 5 websites that you can use to download audio from a youtube video, and I'm sure some cheapass "I don't pay for beats" rappers know them too. So, do you use YouTube?

keep your best beats off youtube and only throw up the rest of em, then in the description add a link to your own site where you can get people to buy the rest. otherwise tag them if youre afraid of being ripped off.

I don't post beats on youtube. & If I do have a sample of my work playing itll be in the background and eventually cut off. You have a soundcloud; utilize that. My youtube is used for tutorials, beat making videos, and songs I produced that are completed (meaning a full song).

I would recommend posting lower quality, highly tagged audio files anywhere on the internet. The more content you have available, the more chances to be heard.
WIth that being said, I would also recommend a disclaimer to the listener that the music they hear is not the best quality and can be purchased in a high quality format, untagged, next to a link directing them to where they can do so.

I would recommend posting lower quality, highly tagged audio files anywhere on the internet. The more content you have available, the more chances to be heard.
WIth that being said, I would also recommend a disclaimer to the listener that the music they hear is not the best quality and can be purchased in a high quality format, untagged, next to a link directing them to where they can do so.

smart.../..

I do not use Youtube, stricly Reverbnation and Soundcloud. Because those sites turn your quality down to 128. So it does the work for you. You should tag those as well, I personally don't, because I'm still looking for a female to do my tag but if you know how you can take people's beats off Soundcloud, but I'm not going to disclose how.

Best advice from rayzer IMHO....

I would not recommend NOT using You Tube at all because that is just stupid. That is like saying don't put your stuff in Wal Mart if you sold something like shirts for example. You can't ignore the selling power of Wal Mart and you can't ignore the power of You Tube. You just have to work smarter thats all, but to not use it at all is leaving a lot of possible exposure to your music on the table. Use your less than great beats, or just part of your beats or whatever, but I would not pass up the free exposure......that makes ZERO business sense.

So I'm in the process of trying to build my producing business just like the rest of us are. I keep getting recommendations from friends and fellow producers to post my beats on YouTube. Yes I understand that its one of the biggest websites in the world next to Google and Facebook, but I'm still iffy. To me it seems like by posting beats on there you are just asking to get jipped. I can name like 5 websites that you can use to download audio from a youtube video, and I'm sure some cheapass "I don't pay for beats" rappers know them too. So, do you use YouTube?

If you're trying to make money from your beats then keep them off of YouTube, because it's an entertainment platform and not a business platform. Purchases are not made via YouTube; therefore, it doesn't make since to use it for business transactions. Instead, fir the best results, use YouTube to entertain people: music videos, comedy, tutorials, etc.

If you're goal is to sell beat downloads, use a music player that handles money transactions via paypal. Create a website, if you don't have one already, and embed the music player on it. Once you have your website, funnel traffic from YouTube to the beat store. Needless to state, your YouTube content would need to be catered to beat buys. There are tons of ways to do that, all you need to do is be reach the right people at the right time, easy enough right? You know how to reach me, so get at me if you need ideas.

Here is the problem with Youtube and why I will not post anything but a finished/copyright'd song of my work.

You can post/upload poor quality samples of your beats... You can post/upload beats that are tagged to death..... You can post/upload partial clips of your beats, etc... but the one thing everyone is missing is the fact that you are broadcasting your ideas and arrangements... I can listen to a beat whether partial or tagged and then replicate almost the same beat, melody, arrangement and either modify it to what I want or just reproduce the same idea. This is why I will never post any beats online...

Here is the problem with Youtube and why I will not post anything but a finished/copyright'd song of my work.

You can post/upload poor quality samples of your beats... You can post/upload beats that are tagged to death..... You can post/upload partial clips of your beats, etc... but the one thing everyone is missing is the fact that you are broadcasting your ideas and arrangements... I can listen to a beat whether partial or tagged and then replicate almost the same beat, melody, arrangement and either modify it to what I want or just reproduce the same idea. This is why I will never post any beats online...

Hmmm...not saying that I disagree with you 100% on this one, but couldn't you find the same faults that you have found in You Tube also in Soundclick, Soundcloud, Reverbnation, iTunes, FM radio, Sirrus radio, TV,etc.?? I am not going to say that folks don't steal stuff from You Tube (because they do), but if someone wants your track there is no way to stop that no matter where they hear it from. The only way to prevent someone from taking your ideas is to NEVER share them with anyone. Now you can protect yourself as an reactive measure by copyrighting (which should be done always anyway), but there is no proactive anti idea jacking device out there to prevent this.

Let me ask you a question: If I could promise you that you would sell 300 tracks @ $75.00 a pop, but 3 to 5 of those tracks would be jacked by someone and used.....would you still do it? I think most likely you would answer yes. You would not care about the 5 tracks because of the money you made from your other sales. C'mon man thats a little over 22k for the month! I know someone that is making 20k a month off beats using You Tube, Soundclick and other sites. Trust me he doesn't care about the few beats that may be getting jacked from it. You just have to be smart as with any product you sell....but strinkage is part of business 101. It is just part of the cost of business.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think you need to worry about it, tag em and fahget about em. If someone is cheap enough to steal a beat with the crap quality there work is junk to begin with, no?

Scared money don't make no money. In 2012 I think the best way to make money from beats might just be to give them away anyway.

I have a whole article on Marketing Yourself on Youtube on my site. Just subscribe below on my sig...I'm also on wordpress and the same article is there too. You know the name, B.A. baby!

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

Except the one on your sig?

whenever i see a link to check out a beat on Youtube, i always think 'wherz the video?/why are you not using soundcloud if you have no video to go with ur beats?' <> the other thing i think is ROOKIE !!! <> im not shopping for beats, but if i was, i wouldnt spend time looking on Youtube, *unless* the beats had a good MC spittin bars on top in a halfway decent video to go with it <> im not saying therz no talent on Youtube, im not sayin that you shouldnt use anything you can think of to gain exposure <> also id like to say that if someone wants to pirate ur beats they will and if you have a unique or signature sound they will gets caught so dont lose sleep over it just keep bangin

I can name like 5 websites that you can use to download audio from a youtube video

word...word...lol.

where there's a will, there's a way

---------- Post added at 02:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

use YouTube to entertain people: music videos, comedy, tutorials, etc

...makes sense...

---------- Post added at 02:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 AM ----------

use a music player that handles money transactions via paypal

is that how myflashstore works?

here is the problem with youtube and why i will not post anything but a finished/copyright'd song of my work.

You can post/upload poor quality samples of your beats... You can post/upload beats that are tagged to death..... You can post/upload partial clips of your beats, etc... But the one thing everyone is missing is the fact that you are broadcasting your ideas and arrangements... I can listen to a beat whether partial or tagged and then replicate almost the same beat, melody, arrangement and either modify it to what i want or just reproduce the same idea. This is why i will never post any beats online...

i was thinking the same thing for years.. But at the end of the day.. If nobody hears the beats.. If society doesn't get a chance to hear what your really working with... You might as welll give up... Thats what i was doin for years.. Id only send it to rappers emails.. But i posted them onlie in january said **** it a new year.. And the response has been great.. I got other producers tellin me how good i am.. And people constently emaililing me to buy beats and also finding me on twitter to buy beats (both happened yesterday btw) so yea put it out... It can only help

i dont see why it even matters if some cheaphole dumb bum rapper uses my beats really

people that are serious will pay even if the shit is available untagged mp3 off youtube

Back