Why post on YouTube??

i dont see why it even matters if some cheaphole dumb bum rapper uses my beats really

people that are serious will pay even if the shit is available untagged mp3 off youtube

for the most part - true -

but there's ARGUABLY more people that ARE NOT serious - as opposed to people that ARE serious

Believe it or not there are a lot of people who are serious but lack the funds for beats. I think many people see it from our own pov but do not see it from the artists. Not that it makes it any less of an excuse but when u buy say 20 beats at $20 each just for leasing thats 200 alone for a track they can only use sometimes. Not to mention mixing, mastering, promo and pressing if there is any of that going on. Some artists cannot afford to spend $1,000 on a mixtape. Not condoning it but saying lets sometimes see this from someone else's pov. Kinda like how producers pirate shit and say I cannot afford to buy vsts. I think it goes both ways. We all have to start supporting each other and giving the fans something worth buying so we all eat. Too many people under cutting each other only worried about themselves.

My thing is even if you keep your music/beats behind a paywall, someone can still buy the download and claim the beat as theirs

Theres no way to protect your work 100% unless you never release/share them and who doesn't want to share their creative, artistic, and original work?

Set your music/beats free in this digital internet revolution

j.troup has been over this before...let your beats be heard...what are they gonna do otherwise? sit on your computer? people get discovered on youtube...go all out with it, dont be greedy...unless u got some super original extra hot beat...then u might wanna save it.... im thinking about posting some stuff on youtube.

If you're trying to make money from your beats then keep them off of YouTube, because it's an entertainment platform and not a business platform. Purchases are not made via YouTube; therefore, it doesn't make since to use it for business transactions. Instead, fir the best results, use YouTube to entertain people: music videos, comedy, tutorials, etc.

If you're goal is to sell beat downloads, use a music player that handles money transactions via paypal. Create a website, if you don't have one already, and embed the music player on it. Once you have your website, funnel traffic from YouTube to the beat store. Needless to state, your YouTube content would need to be catered to beat buys. There are tons of ways to do that, all you need to do is be reach the right people at the right time, easy enough right? You know how to reach me, so get at me if you need ideas.

I have to disagree, not only can you monetize your videos on youtube and get payed but there are several ways to reduce people downloading your track such as the methods mentioned above, Secondly your also building an audience which in my opinion is the most important thing. Lastly if you sell your beats via itune or whatever your stuff will be just as likely to be pirated surly?

Anyway thats my opinion for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Youtube is wise simply because it will reach a larger audience. But I suggest that you tag your beats if you are worried about them being stolen. I am pretty sure if they ripped your beat off youtube it would be a very low quality version of it anyways. Anyone that wants to take their music serious would probably know that and wouldn't ever steal beats off sites like youtube. But there are those people out there that do it. Uploading a lower quality version of the beat is a good idea too as someone else stated.

I also saw someone post to use soundcloud. But I personally know you can steal the songs right off anyones soundcloud page too so you have the same problem there. The best solution is to just tag your beats and if someone decides to still steal it and use it, then atleast they're promoting you in the process haha.

edit - The thing that matters the most though, is that your beats get heard. I personally dont see much harm if a few people stole one of my beats honestly. I offer my beats free to download anyways, they just have a vocal tag on it. If you purchase rights then you can get it untagged.

Last edited by a moderator:
In all reality, beats can be stolen from any web site. It's really not that hard to do. (Not saying that I do it...I just know it can be done) I would definitely recommended tagging your beats and not posting the full beat.

Just don't post the full beat. Then they can't download it.

True but, if the beat has the beginning, bridge and the hook without a tag, anyone with Audactiy and a bit of sampling experience could download it, chop it up and easily fix/arrange themselves YOUR beat without even needing the full song. As long as they have enough to work with, it's practically their beat. I've made my own instrumentals from song's this exact way. Nothing illegal, I wouldn't use it for infringement of any kind but it's definitely possible. This is exactly why tags are stressed to use. With about 3 tags a song, in the beginning at the climax of the buildup, before the hook comes in, and towards the end if you have something special in there, you could save yourself from people who do that kind of stuff illegally and it won't be so annoying if the track is long enough.

If you guys don't think YouTube is a selling point your stupid, on almost every beat making video/tutorial/guide etc... I've always seen people commenting 'Where can I buy this beat', 'I wrote a whole song to this beat, where can i buy it at', this shows there are people watching these videos that are willing to buy YOUR beat because they watched YOUR video on YOUTUBE. If your videos are not there when they would of bought someone else's beat.

Youtube is a vehicle for driving traffic to anywhere you need it. Its a social networking site nothing else man. Use the power it has to gain that exposure and build your following. You'll run into cheap asses all the time but don't let that stop you from getting out there. Whats the difference from getting jipped on Youtude then soundclick? Nothing in my opinion yet people still post stuff. Just think about the traffic side of it and use it to you advantage. I feel if your promoting anything anywhere and not funneling that traffic to a website that YOU own then you are wasting your time plain and simple. Not everyone is buyer, that's just life and business in general. As long you're building a following you'll eventually find the buyers you're looking for. Start building a list from these sources is one way. Get creative with your marketing efforts. One way is to upload a beat for free but require them to subscribe to your list, not your channel although that's good to but a list that you can control is a lot better. You can then create all kinds of offers to promote to your list whether its full of freebie seekers or not you find you buyers. Once you get those buyers, move them over to buyers list and only promote to them and build a better relationship. The things is getting the freebie seeker over to your buyers side as fast as possible. Marketing 101

Matter of fact your beats WILL get ripped/ jacked and rapped on if you want to promote yourself. Nothing bad about it.

1) Be glad somebody wants your product so hard they actually do the work of ripping it.
2) Think of it as a give a way: Won't nobody buy your damn chocolate if you don't let them taste it first (in other words: no addiction, no buying drugs).

Youtube has an affiliate marketing program called "google adsense" that can help you make money every time someone views your video and more money when they click on the advertisements that will automatically be posted on your videos. You've got to understand the bigger picture my friend. "Monetize" your stuff. You can't put all your eggs in one basket. :)

I think using YouTube is a good idea. I've sold plenty of beats just by people hitting me up off of youtube after hearing my tracks. It's also nice if you can get your vids ranking in Google for a good keywords.

Back